Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:35 AM   #11

The new Ricoh Caplio R5 is a compact with 28 to 200mm zoom and Image stabilisation.
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:52 AM   #12

Ira,

I live in the states. I've seen the K100D listed as camera body only or with the 18-55mm kit lens. Where might I see a 2 lens kit? This seems to be the best choice for a point and shooter like me to move up to dSLR territory. Thanks.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:43 PM   #13

I may be wrong here, the DL was available with both the 18-55 and the 50-200 but it seems to K100D doesn't have that offer yet (soon I hope). If you aren't in a big hurry to buy keep looking around for that kit, many will say it is no match for the latest from Canon or Nikon but, at this price point nothing can touch it at the moment at least.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:25 PM   #14

I agree. The Nikon D50 is inclose price range, but the Canon XT is a bit over where I want to be.The only otherclose in priceisthe Olympus E500 (2 lens kit),whichgets bad reviews in the hi ISO noise category. I like the D50; tried one at a local store and it has a brighter view finder than the Pentax IstDL and it seemed to autofocus a bit faster. They had no K100D at the time, and of course theK100D advantageover the D50 is the shake reduction. I have a Konica Minolta A200 Point and Shootwith AS it works pretty well. I'd be satisfied with itexcept the noise is unacceptable to me above 200 ISO, and AF is slow in low light. I was hoping to get the KM 7D when the price dropped to $599 at Walmart (with a kit lens). I hesitated and they were gone. Now, it looks like the best deal is the Pentax K100D. Buydig.com has it for $599US with the18-55mm kit lens. Does that sound like a good deal?
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:21 PM   #15

a200user wrote:
Quote:
Ira,

I live in the states. I've seen the K100D listed as camera body only or with the 18-55mm kit lens. Where might I see a 2 lens kit? This seems to be the best choice for a point and shooter like me to move up to dSLR territory. Thanks.
Sahara camera in Las Vegas has two lens kits for the K100D in their shop.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote