Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:30 PM   #31

\]Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
I can't answer that question for you but I answered it already for myself. I DO NOT want a DSLR.

I paid around $300 for my Kodak P850. It has 432mm zoom (and upwards of 700mm with a $100 attachement). The image quality is not perfect, but it is very good. It is 5MP and unless you plan to blow the pictures up VERY big, the quality is fine.

Now if you want to do everything the Kodak P850 does with a DSLR, you will end up paying at least 6x the price for the camera body/lenses/etc. and thats if you get good deals on lenses that arn't the best.

If I were to upgrade my camera right now, I would get the very best prosumer camera on the market, but not go up to DSLR. It just isn't worth the money to me. In my opinion, a DSLR is either for professional photographers or for people to whom money is simply no object. If you can get something for $500 that can do close to everything a $2000+ DSLR does, then I am taking the $500.

Now again, this is really dependant on you. Do you have money to burn? I sure don't, but I'm 15 years old. Do you plan on making huge copies of your shots? For 4 x 6 inch prints or even bigger like 12 x 18, you won't see much of an advantage.

I also have to point out one major weakness of Prosumer cameras compared to DSLR (especially my prosumer). This is the lack of wide angles. Prosumer cameras rarely have an angle wider than 24mm or so. With DSLR you can get relatively cheap lenses ($500-$600) that offer you shots at 10mm. So if you plan on doing lots of landscape work, then a DSLR is the way to go.

DSLR's also have FAR superior low light performance. This could be useful if your son is ever playing football in a dimly lit stadium.

Sorry for the long post.

You should check dSLR and lensprices. I sold my P850 and bought the *istDL kit for less than I paid for the P850. I added a 28-300 (42-450 equivalent) zoom for another $130. You can spend hundreds (or eventhousands) for lenses, but you don't have to. Plus with the change of a lens, youcan have a completely different camera.

Also, the 5mp of the Kodak (or any P&S except the Sony) comes on a much smaller sensor, meaning muchmorenoise at low lighting. The Kodak took some nice shot in the dark, but Ihappened to takea similar shot with the DL (separate trip, different time of day)and was amazed at the difference in detail. Kodak has some nice noise reduction built in and shoots nice shots. However, I think the DL has much wider dynamic range, meaning the highlight details are more visible. Both are nice, I just like the dSLR better, and the price isn't that much more.

Kodak P850 shot:

Pentax *istDL shot:

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:37 PM   #32

rfortson, I live in Canada and the prices are different here. Where I live, it is indeed impossible to get a DSLR for even close to the price of the Kodak P850. However, if the topic creator can get a good DSLR for cheaper than the P850, then I think he probably should.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:09 PM   #33

Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
rfortson, I live in Canada and the prices are different here. Where I live, it is indeed impossible to get a DSLR for even close to the price of the Kodak P850. However, if the topic creator can get a good DSLR for cheaper than the P850, then I think he probably should.
You have to look for deals. I don't know about Canada, but in the US you can buy an entry level DSLR for the same price as a Point and Shoot in the 4-5 hundred dollar range.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:36 AM   #34

Actually, as Mary implied, with a DSLR it's often not possible to stop down enough. Keep in mind that DoF is a function of the true focal length, not the 35mm equivalent, and compact digicams have much shorter lenses.

For example, take the rather large Pany Lumix FZ30. If you're doing macro at 16mm (~76mm in 35mm equivalent). At f/11 and 10" subject distance, your DoF is 1.27".

Now take for example the Pentax ist DL. The shortest macro lens for it would probably be a 50mm lens (~76mm in 35mm equivalent). At f/32 (assuming you can stop down that much, it might stop at f/22), and 10" subject distance, your DoF is a mere 1.05".

You can play around with other settings on dofmaster.com

Trust me, if you're shooting macro with a DSLR you'll take all the DoF you can get.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
MaryRose wrote:
Quote:
I also found that the depth of field is a lot different in DSLR's than point and shoots! I really miss those macro shots where everything was in focus automatically!

Unless I misunderstand you...I don't understand how come you can'tget everything in focuswith the DSLR byusingthe right aperture? Having said that, for shots of flowers and stuff like that, most shooters only want the subject in focus.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:48 PM   #35

Thanks for the explanation about the DOF!!!

Gadgetnut - did you make a decision yet?

It seems like your main concern is it becoming a "money pit". hmmm. That might not be a concern if you'd be happy with a "walkaround" lense. I must admit that I have been frustrated that our lenses only focuses to 17cm but in general I am content with 18 - 200mm. I take pics for recreation and family events only so the one lense has been sufficient.

I did just order an almost-compact to carry with me all the time. It focuse to 1 cm so I'm hoping it willsatisfy mymacro cravings. I'm holding my breath to see how I like it as I'd like it to wash the dishes, too, of course! But you say the size of theDSLRwon't bother you so you should be happy with your choice.

So do tell please! Did you decide?
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:48 PM   #36

I would seriously look at getting a Canon S3 IS ..........I have an S2 IS and LOVE it!!! I don't have to carry all the extra lens around, and it has a 12x zoom and a macro setting that are both remarkable. The proof is in the pudding......check out my photos at: www.pbase.com/jpeless

Good luck!!
harley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:35 PM   #37

gadgetnut

I was all prepared to buy the K100d as i have some old pentax lenses but i dont really like the idea of carrying all that weight around.So i am waiting for some in-depth reviews on the two NEW Fuji Cameras, the Finepix s9100 and the S6500fd ,they seem to be the thing im looking for good wide angle and Zoom all in one,but until this sites reviewed them and maybe a couple of other sites i will hold on to my money
RegBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:48 PM   #38

MaryRose wrote:
Quote:
Gadgetnut - did you make a decision yet?
Yes, I have. I'm going to get the Pentax K100D very soon. I still have a few concerns, but I think I'll be very happy over-all. I had a chance to hold one in a camera shop this past weekend and snap a few shots inside the store. I liked it even more than I thought I would. I still have a LOT to learn, but that's one of the reasons I do want a DSLR. It will give me room to grow. I'm checking into some digital photography classes through a local college. That should be fun.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:58 PM   #39

RegBaron wrote:
Quote:
gadgetnut

I was all prepared to buy the K100d as i have some old pentax lenses but i dont really like the idea of carrying all that weight around.So i am waiting for some in-depth reviews on the two NEW Fuji Cameras, the Finepix s9100 and the S6500fd ,they seem to be the thing im looking for good wide angle and Zoom all in one,but until this sites reviewed them and maybe a couple of other sites i will hold on to my money
I know what you mean. I have the same concerns. But I know how I am with this stuff. If I get yet another fixed-lens P&S (even a great one like the Fuji S9100) I'll always wish I would have made the leap to DSLR. From what I've read so far, I think I'll be pretty happy with one good lens on the camera and possibly one other along for the ride. I can live with that if it gives me the features and flexibility I want along with the better performance of a DSLR. The Fujis you mentioned seem like great cameras, but I just don't think I'd be totally happy for very long. Besides, I also like the idea of having the "Shake Reduction" in the K100D...I need all the help I can get!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:11 AM   #40

harley2003 - Thanks so much for posting the link to your photos! I can see why you like your S2 IS so much. Beautiful photos! I also love your captions - the whole effect is very inspiring. If I were in the market for a fixed lense camera I would definitely consider the S3 IS!

RegBaron - thanksfor mentioning the s9100 and S6500fd. Sounds like they have everything rolled into one!

gadgetnut - let us know how you likeyour DSLR when you get it. You definitely will love the "shake reduction". I have it on my DSLR and am SO glad it has that feature.

I just ordered asmaller"pocketbook" camera and it will be my first digital that does not have IS. hmmm. I'm a little nervous aboutnot having ISas my hands aren't too steady. I'll be taking a lot of test shots very quickly to see if I want to keep it!

MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote