Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:22 AM   #41

I have been reading this thread because I have the same question. The best prosumer or dslr? I used a Nikkormat FT3 for years. I liked the pictures but didn't like the baggage. My FT3 died so I picked up a Sony DSC-P200. It has served me well up to now. I mostly want good quality pictures. I never blow up anything past 8x10. I want more zoom on occasion. Mostly vacation shots. A nephew has a Canon Rebel. Great pictures but so much stuff to carry around. Is there anything out there that will give me great 4x6 pics with vibrant color and sharpness or am I going to be unhappy with the quality until I go dslr? I am hoping the experienced folks on here can help me.
seusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:24 AM   #42

MaryRose wrote:
Quote:
gadgetnut - let us know how you likeyour DSLR when you get it. You definitely will love the "shake reduction". I have it on my DSLR and am SO glad it has that feature.

I just ordered asmaller"pocketbook" camera and it will be my first digital that does not have IS. hmmm. I'm a little nervous aboutnot having ISas my hands aren't too steady. I'll be taking a lot of test shots very quickly to see if I want to keep it!
If you ordered a small "pocketbook" camera, than I assume it's probably around a 3X zoom....right? If it is, you won't need IS. I am on my second Point-n-shoot and neither one had IS. The only time I really see a need for it is in low light indoor shots, or when zoomed way out to 10X (300mm equl.). Even at that, if there is enough light and I'm good and steady, I don't have a problem. I just think that feature is worth having on my next camera simply because it does help and it's available on some great cameras.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:30 AM   #43

seusa wrote:
Quote:
I have been reading this thread because I have the same question. The best prosumer or dslr? I used a Nikkormat FT3 for years. I liked the pictures but didn't like the baggage. My FT3 died so I picked up a Sony DSC-P200. It has served me well up to now. I mostly want good quality pictures. I never blow up anything past 8x10. I want more zoom on occasion. Mostly vacation shots. A nephew has a Canon Rebel. Great pictures but so much stuff to carry around. Is there anything out there that will give me great 4x6 pics with vibrant color and sharpness or am I going to be unhappy with the quality until I go dslr? I am hoping the experienced folks on here can help me.
You do NOT need a DSLR to get 4X6 prints that will blow you away! My current Minolta Dimage Z1 is only 3.2MP and I have gotten excellent 8X10's from that camera. The main reason I want to go DSLR is because I view the whole process as a hobby. I'm anxious to learn more...to play around with the differnt settings...to experiment with different lenes. If all you want is a simple camera with a good zoom that takes great pictures up to 8X10, you do not need a DSLR. I don't need a DSLR either, but I want one.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:39 AM   #44

gadgetnut - thanks so much for that info! My only other p&S was a 10x zoom so I'm happy to hear I won't needthe IS (hopefully!). I finally decided on the Canon Powershot A620. I did not want to spend much money on a compact camera after purchasing the DSLRso I was intrigued that the A620 was so inexpensive. Reviews seem very good. I think I might like the swivel LCD screen. I know I'll miss the zoom capability (the A620 only has 4x) but I'm looking forward to being able tofocusto 1cm! It's not as small as I wanted but the quality seems like it will be better than most of the very small cameras. I also really wanted an optical view finder. (How do people take pics in bright lightusingthe LCD screen?)
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:49 AM   #45

MaryRose wrote:
Quote:
(How do people take pics in bright lightusingthe LCD screen?)
Sometimes it's not easy!
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:49 AM   #46

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
MaryRose wrote:
Quote:
gadgetnut - let us know how you likeyour DSLR when you get it. You definitely will love the "shake reduction". I have it on my DSLR and am SO glad it has that feature.

I just ordered asmaller"pocketbook" camera and it will be my first digital that does not have IS. hmmm. I'm a little nervous aboutnot having ISas my hands aren't too steady. I'll be taking a lot of test shots very quickly to see if I want to keep it!
If you ordered a small "pocketbook" camera, than I assume it's probably around a 3X zoom....right? If it is, you won't need IS. I am on my second Point-n-shoot and neither one had IS. The only time I really see a need for it is in low light indoor shots, or when zoomed way out to 10X (300mm equl.). Even at that, if there is enough light and I'm good and steady, I don't have a problem. I just think that feature is worth having on my next camera simply because it does help and it's available on some great cameras.
I'm not certain about all low "X" factor pocket cameras but based on my Fuji F30 I have to agree. I find no need for IS on this camera thus far. Even when my 7 year old takes photos, they come out blur-free. Now someone might ask how can this be since everyone can relate to taking blurry photos. I believe in the case of the F30 that its low light capabilities are so good that whether it's in auto or manual I can get away withusing faster shutter speeds. This camera holds up well in without a flash. It'sautofocus is on the money too, which is a big help in getting nice sharp pictures.

On my DSLR, I couldn't live without IS.BTW, ISdoesn't just help you take better photos. It allows you to take photos that you couldn't take previously without a tripod. In fact the last time, it virtually eliminates the need for a tripod except at extreme focal lengths.The only time I have used a tripod was to take moon shots with my 400mm (600mm equivalent in digital) lens. The exception to not needing a tripod might be for professional studio work or things of that nature, but I'm just in it for the hobby.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:28 AM   #47

seusa - I think there are quite a few p&s digitals that would make you very happy! If very sharp photos are a big priority for you I'd caution you againstbuying a DSLR. I also like my photos to very sharp. I didn't realize until after I'd purchased my DSLR that they tend to produce softer photos than p&s's. (Sorry - don't know the technical reasons why but have sinceread that and it's been my own experience, too.) I keep the Sharpness bumped up to the highest setting which helps.

Keep reading user reviews and I'm sure the bestp&s for your needs will present itself! You'll be able to get great 4x6printswith a p&s.

Have you checked out harley2003's websiteof his photos taken with the Canon S2 IS? He suggests checking out the new S3.

Good luck in your search! (Searching is half the fun!)

Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:22 PM   #48

Thank you so much for your input. I think you have answered my question. I like being able to carry one camera and nothing else. I don't view taking pictures as a hobby just a way of documenting the events of our life. I often go several months without taking a single picture. So now I must decide if I want a Canon S3 or a Sony R1. Any suggestions in that department? Yes, searching is half the fun. I do appreciate all your help.MaryRose wrote:
Quote:
seusa - I think there are quite a few p&s digitals that would make you very happy! If very sharp photos are a big priority for you I'd caution you againstbuying a DSLR. I also like my photos to very sharp. I didn't realize until after I'd purchased my DSLR that they tend to produce softer photos than p&s's. (Sorry - don't know the technical reasons why but have sinceread that and it's been my own experience, too.) I keep the Sharpness bumped up to the highest setting which helps.

Keep reading user reviews and I'm sure the bestp&s for your needs will present itself! You'll be able to get great 4x6printswith a p&s.

Have you checked out harley2003's websiteof his photos taken with the Canon S2 IS? He suggests checking out the new S3.

Good luck in your search! (Searching is half the fun!)

seusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:43 PM   #49

seusa - You'll have to decide what features are important to you. I took a quick look at the Sony. For me I'd choose the S3 IS mainly for its zoom capacity. (12x. The Sony is only 5x.) I love lots of zoom so at least one of my cameras has to have it!

I was very surprised how heavy the Sony is. 35 oz? My DSLR only weighs 24 oz. I wouldn't like a camera that weighs any more than that. The weight could mean the difference of taking the camera with you or not for certain situations. That's why many DSLR owners end up getting a compact camera to carry all the time.

Also, if taking movie clips matters to you - the Sony does not have that capability but the Canon does. The clips may not be great quality but they can be fun.

The Sony is at least twice as expensive as the Canon. Don't know if the cost is important to you but it seems that the Canon gives you a lot of camera for half the cost. The sample pics seem good for both cameras. Have you checked out user reviews on amazon.com? I like seeing the "user" photos taken with the cameras.

Also, I haven't had the chance to check out the two Fuji cameras that ReBaron mentioned earlier in this post. They sound very nice.

One thing to consider is that thetechnology is changing very fast. You might want to spend less money now so you can justify upgrading in a few years. (Another plus for the Canon!)
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:04 PM   #50

Maryrose

I had a job finding my way through the Fuji site to get some info on the cameras I mentioned but here is the link http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...0fd/index.html

The cameras seem to have what im looking for 28mm Wide to 300mm Zoom and a Macro down to 1cm.I will wait until they get reviewed by independent experts first before i decide .

RegBaron is offline   Reply With Quote