Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:12 PM   #51

Thanks so much for the link, RegBaron! 1cm to 300mm? With IS and ISO 3200? Oh, my. I'm drooling. Can't wait to read more about it!

seusa- I didn't realize one ofthe Fuji cameras that RegBaron mentioned is a DSLR. Probably not what you are looking for.....
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:23 PM   #52

I think you must be mistaken the two fujis i mentionedare not DSLR's but fixed lens thats the S6500fd and the S9600 also called the S9100
RegBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:27 PM   #53

Oh - I'm so sorry! I just took a quick look and assumed it was a DSLR.Thanks so much for setting me straight!!
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:29 PM   #54

MaryRose wrote:
Quote:
Thanks so much for the link, RegBaron! 1cm to 300mm? With IS and ISO 3200? Oh, my. I'm drooling. Can't wait to read more about it!

seusa- I didn't realize one ofthe Fuji cameras that RegBaron mentioned is a DSLR. Probably not what you are looking for.....
No I really don't think I want a dslr. I like the idea of more zoom. Especially for vacation pics. Do you have the Canon S3? I wouldn't mind spending the money on the Sony if its pictures were far better than Canon. I notice that the Canon has 6 mp and the Sony has 10mp. Since I never go above an 8x10 would that make much difference? Sorry to ask so many questions but I haven't had much experience with this digital game. Once again thanks so much for your input.
seusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:37 PM   #55

seusa wrote:
Quote:
I notice that the Canon has 6 mp and the Sony has 10mp. Since I never go above an 8x10 would that make much difference?
Hey seusa,

For what it's worth, I'm about ready to order a Pentax K100D. It's a brand new DSLR, and it's only 6mp. If you don't plan to print above 8X10, you don't need anything more than 6mp unless you crop in really far on post edit. I have a 3.1MP minolta that renders very nice 8X10's and beautiful 5X7's.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:49 PM   #56

Gadgetnut, It seems you have done lots of research. I want a very good digital with more zoom. The one I have now has 3x and I would like more than that. I have cropped concert photos and sports photos before to get a closer image. Would the stronger zoom on the Canon S3 compensate for the greater mp of the Sony R1? I really do appreciate all this help.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:57 PM   #57

seusa wrote:
Quote:
Gadgetnut, It seems you have done lots of research. I want a very good digital with more zoom. The one I have now has 3x and I would like more than that. I have cropped concert photos and sports photos before to get a closer image. Would the stronger zoom on the Canon S3 compensate for the greater mp of the Sony R1? I really do appreciate all this help.
Yes, it would compensate for it to a point. Any time you can "get closer" with more optical zoom, it's always better than cropping (which is the same as zooming in digitaly). As Mary said, your best bet is to figure out which features are important to you on the camera. For instance: I have already determined that for my next camera, I want manual focus on a lens ring. That one feature eliminated MANY very nice cameras from my list. If that one feature wasn't important to me, I'd get a Canon S3 IS. You get an amazing 12X zoom AND true optical image stabilization all for around $350! Plus it does video in stereo sound....very cool.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:08 PM   #58

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
seusa wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it would compensate for it to a point. Any time you can "get closer" with more optical zoom, it's always better than cropping (which is the same as zooming in digitaly). As Mary said, your best bet is to figure out which features are important to you on the camera. For instance: I have already determined that for my next camera, I want manual focus on a lens ring. That one feature eliminated MANY very nice cameras from my list. If that one feature wasn't important to me, I'd get a Canon S3 IS. You get an amazing 12X zoom AND true optical image stabilization all for around $350! Plus it does video in stereo sound....very cool.
Since I have used manual focus on my previous slr do you think I would be happier with the manual on the Sony? I have used the zoom on my p&s and had no problems. I think when it all comes down to it I want really vibrant, sharp pictures. But I know I don't want to lug all the dslr stuff with me!
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:22 PM   #59

seusa wrote:
Quote:
Since I have used manual focus on my previous slr do you think I would be happier with the manual on the Sony? I have used the zoom on my p&s and had no problems. I think when it all comes down to it I want really vibrant, sharp pictures. But I know I don't want to lug all the dslr stuff with me!
I would suggest that you go to a store where they have a Canon S3 Is available for you to turn on and handle. Put it in manual focus mode and focus on a few items.If you can live with it, I'd say get it. It's HALF the price of that Sony. If you're like me, and you feel you really want the manual focus to be on a lens ring, and you don't want a DSLR, then I'd recommend looking at the two Fuji's that RegBaron mentioned along with the Sony you like.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:27 PM   #60

Thanks so much for all the help. I will head to the stores tomorrow and start trying out the cameras. This place provides great information.:bye: