Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:36 PM   #1

Ok I have narrowed it down to these two...

Can somone give the pros/cons of both, and which you wold buy. This is going to be an everyday camera for me. Vacations, kids, family etc. I want one that will take great close up pics of the kids, as my current Canon A20 doesn't.

samismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:07 PM   #2

samismom-

You don't detail your actual shooting conditions, which would have been very useful to know. However, in general terms I would clearly prefer the Panasonic TZ-1. I owned both the kodak P850 (which I later old on e-bay)and the TZ-1. The the Z612 is just a newer version having IS in the Kodak Z line.I would suggest that you take a look at and be sure to handle both cameras. The TZ-1 is slightly smaller and slimmer.

Both cameras will do a good job. The Kodak has colors that are a bit more saturated. To give you a sample of classic Kodak colors, I pulled out my older Kodak Z740 and took an inside/no flash photo ofmy husbandas he was napping this afternoon.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:10 PM   #3

I totally agree with mtclimber. We need to know your shoting conditions. But thee both great cameras, and i mean great!

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:43 PM   #4

samismom-

If you really did not need the IS found in the Z612, a Z-740 can be purchased for well less that less than $200.

MT
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:22 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the info.

Being that I am a "novice", and do not know really anything about digital cameras, let me try to say what I will be doing with this camera.

Photos will bemostly family vacation, kids outings, kids close ups, play shotsetc..I am not sure what my "exact" shooting conditions are. My current camera is a Canon A20, so it is very old, and not cutting it these days.

I want something that is easy to use, takes GREAT photos (especially close up), has IS, minimal delay on shooting photos etc. I am leaning towards the TZ1, due to the size, and the fact I could throw it in my purse.I am hoping this camera will last us quite some time.

Any additional info you can offer?

samismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:39 PM   #6

go with the z612. unless you don't like the colour difference.

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:40 PM   #7

samismom-

I also own the Panasonic TZ-1, as I previously mentioned. I like theTZ-1. But I did want to offer you a less expensive alternative. Here is another sample photo takenindoors, with no flash at ISO 800 with the TZ-1 on board a cruise ship in Copenhagen. If size is important, then the Panasonic TZ-1 is the way to go.

MT
Attached Images