Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:26 PM   #1

I've chosen the Sigma SD14 (will see more at Photokina...) cause I saw how incredible photos you can get from their sensor, way better then other DSLR on the market today, colors rendition is amazing, I was sold immediately.

And the other choice is Nikon D50 + nikkor 18-200mm VR, great DSLR for a beginner like me and of course an All-around Zoom lens that I can hardly resist it.

What is your opinion... please share. :?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:24 PM   #2
Log

just to let you know unless you already did.... the 18-200 VR will probably be unavailable for quite a few months to come...

have not heard of the new sigma yet so cant lend opinion on that

-Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:35 PM   #3

Have you handled this camera yet?? As has been said many times, image quality is very similiar amongst all the current DSLR's, and handling should be one of the major determining factors. I would definetly handle the camera finalizing any decision. Also there is no track record for sigma in the DSLR world, so I would be concerned about quality.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:35 PM   #4
TDN

Isn't the sigma only released as a teaser yet?

Look, I know how exciting buying a new camera can be, but trust me on this:

You cannot buy a camera simply by seeing one "glimpse" of a feature.

Think it trough, after all, this will be a +500$ purchase you're making...

Think carefully, do some decent research (but don't go "pixel peeping" either), and if you can, get your hands on a few cameras to try them out.

Then you cna make a well though trough decision.

Good luck on the camera hunt!

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:08 PM   #5

True, it is a nice place to be (not too long though), the time before purchasing your new camera especially a time before Photokina.

I was looking mainly at the Sigma, against all the negative stuff said in other forums, because the IQ is really that great, and as I was looking through hundreds of photos taken with the SD10 and the SD9, then I knew that it is time to leave all the marketing stuff beside and look at the 'real life picture', I want a DSLR and I want it for a hobby, I am very picky in every thing I buy, I want quality and the final result of every DSLR is a picture, thats it, a picture, and I want it to look the best it can be then after comparing many photos from different manufacturers against the Sigma I've decided that the Sigma using the Foveon X3 CCD is gonna be the best tool for me ,but, there is always a but, as long as Sigma won't make a mistake that will make me go to other directions.

Time will tell, I just hope that it will be a happy ending.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:11 PM   #6

Idan,

didn't you say a couple months ago that you bought the D50?
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:49 AM   #7

Idan, don't you think you should at least wait for the release (and review) of a camera before "being sold" on it?
What shots made with the SD14 have you seen? There have only been 2 shots on the SD14 teaser page (incredible as they might be) that hardly cover all aspects of photography and hardly answer questions like noise levels etc. Second, I think your post is a little on the naive side since you are comparing the SD14 with the D50. What ever gave you that idea?!?
So let's not make this any more ridiculous than it has to be and at least wait for the product to be released before one makes hasty statements.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:03 AM   #8

I wouldn't place alot emphasis on teaser images from Sigma. I don't even put alot of stock into independent image comparisons. There are just too many variables to try to equally compare cameras. Considering the lens has alot to do with image quality, these reviews are subjective at best.

You claim that you are picky and have expressed concern about buying the best. You went round and round on these forums several months and had supposedly made your decision based on lots of research. Now you've changed your mind and selected what is according to most sources, arguably the least regarded DSLR available in the market, and thereby ignoring all the previous research you did. I'm not sure I understand the logic of your whole process.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:48 PM   #9
rey

Wait... I thought you bought the D50...
and then the E-500
and then the E-330
and then the 30D
and then the A100
and then the SD14
and then....:G:G:G

No offense or anything. i think seeing your avatar change is really fun.
if you ever settle for a camera, i'd be looking forward to your images.

peace!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:23 PM   #10

I am funny sometimes.. he he... but truth is that I was using my borher;s Rebel XT for a few months nowand I've decided that now it is time to have my own equipment so I need to dig and be updated, hope you don't mind :lol: