Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:05 AM   #1

I have finally decided to put my trusty Pentax SLR in the back of the closet and go digital.

I borrowed a Powershot S2 last year for vacation and loved it. Got several great enlargements from it, all the way up to 20x30.

Will I see much difference in the quality of the prints given one is a 6mp and the other is a 9mp?

The price diff is no big deal, so which do you guys think would be a better camera?

Thanks

Mike
snmpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:36 PM   #2

Hi Mike,

There are lots of people on here who know a heck of a lot more about photography than I do, but I'll try to give you a few points to consider. I have been driving myself crazy researching my next digital camera. I've read every review there is on just about every "Prosumer" poin-n-shoot model out there as well as several of the lower priced DSLR cameras. I'm 99.9% sure my next camera will be the new Pentax K100D DSLR. You might want to give it a serious look. It would use all of the lenses you already own!

As for the two cameras you asked about, that's a tough one. I looked very hard at both.

The Canon seems like a great camera, but it's missing two very important features: manual focus and manual zoom on lens rings. I don't know if you've ever used the manual focus feature on a digicam that required you to push buttons. I have, and it sucks.

The Fuji has both of those features, but no true image stabilization. I know, it says it does...but it's not a true optical stabilization. It simply bumps up the ISO (and noise)to compensate.

It's a tough choice. Neither one really fit my needs well enough. I would have to compromise a little too much. Seriously, before you decide just take an hour to look into the Pentax K100D. I think you may be impressed. It's available with a good lens thrown in for $608.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:48 PM   #3

If you are seriously considering the Fuji 9000 or any of it deritives, then I would ask you to please take a moment to re-consider. I was an early purchaser of the S-9000 and it has been a much less than great digital camera. It is nothing at all like the great S-7000.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:11 PM   #4

Quote:
If you are seriously considering the Fuji 9000 or any of it deritives, then I would ask you to please take a moment to re-consider.
I'm hoping this won't apply to the new S6000fd, which though it is based on the S9000, uses the sensor from the F30. It looks like it is finally available online, though only at about list price--I hope that comes down in few weeks.

Were your problems largley related to the sensor?

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:54 PM   #5

ken-

I too have great expectations for the Fuji S-6000fd. Like you, I own a Fuji F-30 and like the camera a lot, and that imager will be used in the S-6000fd. The only thing that the S-6000fd lacks is IS.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote