Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:57 PM   #1

Hi,

Okay, I'm between the Nikon D50 and Pentax K100D, but now I'm wondering...I'm a newbie and know nothing about SLR's except what I've been reading. I'm planning to take some classes, but don't know if I can wait to purchase the camera. There's a fire under my fanny and I want one now, well in the next couple of months :-). I'mlooking to buy an entry level DSLR, but:

1. Does it make more sense to wait a little longer and buy the next step up from an entry level or will it be too difficult:Oto learn?

2. If you own an entry level DSLR and then moved up, do you regret your purchase of the entry level camera? What did you purchase as your upgrade?

If I go with the Pentax, I love the idea of being able to purchase so many different lenses. I wouldn't be able to afford as many lenses if I go with the D50.

I appreciate any feedback given now and all that I've already received.

Thanks
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:10 PM   #2

afayec wrote:
Quote:
1. Does it make more sense to wait a little longer and buy the next step up from an entry level or will it be too difficult:Oto learn?
This industry moves so fast that waiting for the next big step usually means losing time you could be taking pictures. Even the the most complex pro models have simple modes suitable for beginners.

2. If you own an entry level DSLR and then moved up, do you regret your purchase of the entry level camera? What did you purchase as your upgrade?
Some people buy high end big zoom digicams and then regret it when they get their hands on a dSLR, but I don't personally know of anyone who regretted getting an entry level dSLR. Just pick the one that best fits your purpose, budget and hands.

If I go with the Pentax, I love the idea of being able to purchase so many different lenses. I wouldn't be able to afford as many lenses if I go with the D50.
Either of these cameras is an excellent choice, since you live in the US you have access to lots of lenses for either, but the Pentax will give acceptable compatibility with any K-mount lens they have ever built (and at least 98% from third party lens makers, just beware of Ricoh Program lenses, if in doubt ask here). Yes I am biased because I own a Pentax but I will also say you wouldn't be disappointed by the Nikon.

I appreciate any feedback given now and all that I've already received.
Remember that the Pentax K100D also has Shake Reduction built into the body, with Nikon or Canon this feature is built into some lenses, but you pay a premium for each lens so equiped. The Pentax system may not be quite as effective but it works on every lens you can fit on the camera.

Thanks
You are more than welcome
Ira

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:35 PM   #3

Both of these cameras will take great pictures, they seem to have slightly different strengths. Best thing to do is handle them both (I had a definite preference when I pickedup the DS and the D50 and handled them for a few minutes). I bought the Pentax DS in January, then bought a K100D a couple of weeks ago. While I loved the DS, the SR on the K100D makes a big difference for me (this from someone who said they didn't think IS made much difference based on experiences with an FZ30).

Just my opinion, but there's always new cameras coming out that are a step up. I'd buy one of these two and usethedifferenceget some nice lenses. Later on you can decide if you need or want to upgrade, and you'll already have some nice lenses, and a better knowledge of the extras and why you would want them (or decide you are happy with what you have, like I am with the K100D!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 5:20 AM   #4
TDN

I wouldn't take the next step up. Get a nice lens instead

As for your question, I gotta be careful what i say around here, been acused of "Pentax-converting" by someone here

Anyway both are great cameras. I know a few people that shoot with the D50, and they havent regretted it for a second. Then again, neither have I regretted my *ist DL.

For now, I'd say the shake reduction is a big plus. And as you say, you'd be able to buy some more lenses on ebay.

The D50 body will be cheaper I think, but you'd really have to invest in a couple of new lenses eventually. It also doesn't provide metering with older manual lenses.

My advice would be this: if you can, definitly try out both cameras. What also might be a factor is how good of a deal you can get.
The Pentax kit lens (18-55) won't let you down. So if you cnaget a good price on the kit, go for it.

With the Nikon I'd bargain for an extra lens. I know someone who got a Nikon 70-300mm with his kit after some bargaining.

Since you don't have any lenses from either system, you can go both ways. SO perhaps see which one comes out best for the wallet ?

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the input so far. It's good to know about the metering with the old lenses with the Pentax.

I also wonder, how well do larger photos (11x14) print out with the Pentax (from a photo lab)? I've seen some from the D50 in person, but haven't seen any from the Pentax. The D50 looks very good (at least to me) and it was larger than a 16x20.

I think I'm going to purchase a SD card and see about using it to take sample pics from both cameras on my own. I think they will let me do this while in the store? Then I'll come home and look at them myself, print out a few and see which I like best. They both have basically the same features (except the SR), so I think it boils down to which one 'I' think takes nicer photos.

Thanks again.
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:08 AM   #6
TDN

afayec wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input so far. It's good to know about the metering with the old lenses with the Pentax.

I also wonder, how well do larger photos (11x14) print out with the Pentax (from a photo lab)? I've seen some from the D50 in person, but haven't seen any from the Pentax. The D50 looks very good (at least to me) and it was larger than a 16x20.

I think I'm going to purchase a SD card and see about using it to take sample pics from both cameras on my own. I think they will let me do this while in the store? Then I'll come home and look at them myself, print out a few and see which I like best. They both have basically the same features (except the SR), so I think it boils down to which one 'I' think takes nicer photos.

Thanks again.
Don't know about your first question (I'm bad with inches, metric system here in Belgium).
What I would expect is it will be more or less the same, as they've got the same megapixel count. Someone else might shed some light on this better than I can.

If it's a good camera store, with a friendly salesman, then yes, he will let you try the cameras.

Quote:
I think it boils down to which one 'I' think takes nicer photos.
That's exactly what it boils down to Noone can make the decision except you.

Have fun with your new camera, whichever it becomes

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote