Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:41 PM   #1

Hi everybody!!! I'd like to buy a camera to my girlfriend... the problem is:

canon powershot a700 OR nikon coolpix s4 ??? :?

What do you suggest me and why???

Thanks a lot,

sim1su
sim1su is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:26 PM   #2

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...mc_tz1-review/

The Coolpix S4 has a really cool design, but if you are going to get an ultra zoom at that price you are better off getting one with image stabilization. For only about $50 more you could get a Sony H2; which isn't nearly as compact, but is quite a bit more camera.

And if you want one that compact, the Panasonic TZ1 also might be a better choice. Similar size to the Nikon, with IS, and some good reviews. From Jeff Keller's review above:

Quote:
If you want a compact ultra zoom camera then you really only have two choices: the dual lens Kodak EasyShare V610 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 that I reviewed here. Having used both cameras quite a bit, I know which one I prefer -- the TZ1. While it has a few annoyances, it's a good choice for those who value portability over manual controls and expandability. If you want to know what I really think about the TZ1, this statement should sum it up for you: I bought one as a birthday gift for my dad.
The A700 has slightly different strengths. It has a bit less zoom, but would have the edge on image quality, and has some very nice features, including the option of using modes which allow for more control, including a fully manual mode. It is also stronger on the "expandability" point on which the TZ1 is lacking a bit--with accesories like conversion lenses and an external flash available. This would be an ideal camera for a photography student.

Finally, if she wants those manual controls, a nice camera at around the same price, with good manual control and image quality, which is even a bit more compact, is the Fuji F30 (which is the one I recently bought for myself).

Of the two you listed though, I'd choose the A700; and you might wait and see if the A710 with IS comes out soon; though it might be pricey at first. If it isn't too much more than the A700 though, I think the IS is well worth it.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 2:52 AM   #3

Thanks kenbalbari,

I'm waiting other answers... if is possible in a simple "English"!!! It's a new language for me!

Thanks so much!

sim1su
sim1su is offline   Reply With Quote