Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:46 AM   #11

I think the S3 and H5 (or possibly H2) are the right ones to choose from given your needs. If you can set up a tripod for your band shots, you maybe could also consider the Fuji S5200, which lacks IS, but is a pretty good low light, high ISO performer (but not as good as the Fuji's F series compacts). It's also a bargain, and perhaps worth a look if you really don't like the feel of either of the other two cameras.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:39 AM   #12

ok wel fuji is one spanner in the works so what abotu another?

panasonic fz7 or fz30?

any comments?
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:29 AM   #13

well if it wasn;t for the noise issues sounds like the fz30 or fz50 would be ideal for me, the lack of IS on the fuji s5600 or s9500 which I've looked at is off putting

I'm erring towards the Sony H5 as best all rounder at the mo.....does anyone have any link comparing H5 and H2 anywhere?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:38 AM   #14

ok well finally I think I've come to a decision!

I think like many I find the super zoom ranges from different manufacturers a bit frustrating and would like the best features from the canon s3 is and sony h5 and panasonic fz50 and kodak p712 all rolled into onekiller camera and I'd be happy!

...but we know that won't happen, becasue then we would buy that camera and have no interest in upgrading to the manufacturer's newer slightly improved models and therefore wouldn't be lining their pockets any more!

I don;t want to have to buy two cameras althou8gh I';m sure many of you work like that. So in the end it becomes a trade-off between look/feel v. price v. features/quality

the only ones really in my budget are the s3 is and the kodak z612. I could push to the h5 or the p712 but not the panasonics. the h5 memory is costly also.so its between the s3 and z612 and I think there is no contest

therefore I'm going with the canon s3 is and have a few quid left to get decent batteries & charger, abda large sd card. Then I might eben look at add-on lenses in a few months.

so thank to everyone here who helped me decide even if indirectly. This has to be the best camera site I have come across whilst researching my purchase!

When I finally get the thing I will post some photos :|

cheers all :-)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:23 PM   #15

Let the photos of the various camera's help you decide.........these are my photos using the S2 IS: www.pbase.com/jpeless

I LOVE this camera!
harley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:30 PM   #16

those are some pretty excellent photso you obviously know what you are doing with your s2!!

...also after readin steve's kodak p712 review it has confirmed my decision to go with the s3 although I think a new canon model to replac eit is due soonish...
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:46 PM   #17

Personally, I looked at a b unch of the super zoom and came away loving the Sony h5.* The main reason for me was the 3inch lcd and the bright viewfinder.* The Canon LCD just seemed so small and hard to use and the viewfinder is terrible.* I also had the benefit of a sale at Circuit City for $349.* I also like the idea of using just 2 AA batteries instead of 4.* Video is not a big issue for me so the better video on the Canon S3 was not a deal breaker.**
Lenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:28 AM   #18

in the end I've got an s3! haven't had much chane to put it through its paces yet

you're right of cuorse the LCD on the sony h5 is huge compared to the canon s3, but personally I feel the fact that the canon screen can be swivelled around is more useful to me than having the extra inch viewing area...in addition it still feels better than my old kodak dx3600 that only had a 1.5" LCD!

as for the EVF when I had them side by side I preferred the canon,

also in terms of feel of the camera in my hands - although canon s3 was a little small I still preferred it