Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:06 PM   #1
c_c

Which of the following cameras would you recommend?

Sony DSC-H2
Olympus Stylus 710
Canon S3 IS 6.0
Canon PowerShot SD500
Kodak EasyShare Z650
Kodak V570

I received a digicam as a gift, and these are my options for an exchange. I don't know anything about cameras and I'd really appreciate some help in choosing one.

Thank yooou.
c_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:34 AM   #2

you have in that list 3x optical zoom and some that are 12x optical zoom....
after a brief look at image-recourcing i would say between the sony and 2 cannons, but that is just my dodgy opinion cause i only looked at the conclusions of the reviews.
go to www.imaging-recource.com and read the reviews.
good luck.
rougevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:31 AM   #3

It really depends on what situations you will be using the camera for. Getting one with a long zoom unless it is the Panasonic TZ1 or or the kodak 610 counterpart would mean a bulky camera which you may not really want to lug around. a small camera on the other hand would have limited zoom of 3x but would be small and likely not to be left at home.

IMHO for everyday use, only a select few get to use the 10 or 12x more zoom.

al1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:37 AM   #4

You have to decide first what features you want. Do you want an ultra zoom, or is it more imporant to have somethign compact, maybe even an ultra compact that you can carry in your pocket?

Both the H2 and S3 are top rated ultra zooms. Which is beter is a matter of personal preference; I'd go by which feels better to your in your hand. The Z650 is another good ultra zoom, and a bit more affordable, but lacking optical image stabilitzation.

The others are good as well. The V570 is a convenient ultra compact that is popular because of it's wide angle. The SD500 is another ulta compact with very good performance and image quality.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:39 PM   #5
c_c

You wouldn't recommend the Stylus 710? Image stabilization seems important, so I guess I can rule out the Z650.

I plan to use the camera both indoors and out, and mostly for portraits. Basically I want a camera with great picture quality for everyday use. Movie mode is also important. I'm not too concerned with size, but I definitely don't want a bulky camera. The only time I can see myself needing the ultra zoom is if we're vacationing or at an event, so not very often.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:21 PM   #6
c_c

Canon PowerShot SD600 is also an option. I'd imagine that it's a step up from the SD500? The pricing is confusing and leads me to believe otherwise.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:34 PM   #7

the newer kodak z612 and p series have IS
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:05 PM   #8
c_c

My options are limited to what OfficeMax carries.

The S3 and H2 being on the list might seem out of place, but I thought if I read enough good things about them, it would be worth it to spend the $200 difference. I've noticed a lot of people happy with their A620, so I'll probably take that model into consideration as well.

For some reason I was expecting the pros to look at that list and know right off the bat which camera is superior, but I guess it's not that simple.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:39 PM   #9

I can address the Canon SD500 - its been replaced by the SD550 (they added a slightly larger screen) and the rest of the SDxxx line (higher numbers). It is called an elf camera due to its small size. Its about the size of a package of cigeretts(?), has 3x optical zoom and another 4x digital zoom for a total of 12x, but the digital zoom is worthless, however the optical zoom is great. It is a bit thicker than some of the newer cameras, but it goes in my pants pocket or shirt pocket just fine. Very easy to carry anywhere (indoor / outdoor). Has a flash - takes great pictures, wide angle and zoom. Its 7mp so you have a lot of real estate in the picture to crop items of interest. I have had mine for 18 months now and have taken about 6,000 pictures. It also takes movies too (not the greatest size - but does a good job).

Overall, its what you want in the camera. If its a simple point and shoot, goes anywhere this is great. If you want to do some more, as in - have better control (exposure, focus, etc), add lenses, etc. then another camera similiar to a dSLR (i.e., the sony) would be better.

The Sony H2 and the Canon S3 have more capability in terms of control (exposure, focus but are a fixed lens). I will say that Image Stablization would be nice to have, however both the Sony H2 and the Canon S3 are much larger (as in they do not fit in a pocket easily)

I would suggest that you figure out what you want to use the camera for, then go down and look at each one, pick them up and play with them. Then based on how you want to use them, start eliminating the ones the do not fit your criteria (too large, too small, too bulky, does not feel right, whatever).....

If your not worried about size and think that image stablization is important, then the Canon S3 and Sony H2, I know the S3 does and believe that the H2 does also - but not certain.

It is your call - good luck.

Here is a picture from our vacation 8 weeks ago (would only let me post one). It has been resampled to fit here (72dpi to 50 dpi, and 42x32 to 8x6) the site's storage limitations, so it has lost a lot of definition using Corel Photo Paint 8

[img]file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CGordon%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmso html1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.jpg[/img]

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote