Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:50 AM   #21
Super Moderator

You could try something like this:

Option #1

For a Canon setup you could choose the 17-85 IS + 70-300 IS lenses.

Match that with an affordable body - either the Canon 20D or 350D bodies should still bring you under or maybe just over budget.

The new 400D body might push it a bit over.

Option #2

As an alternative I would be very tempted by a Nikon D80 (body only) and add the 18-200 VR lens. That will be under budget.

Obviously you're getting a bit more with #1, but #2 has its advantages too. Either would be so much better than what you're using now that you will be thrilled and amazed at the difference.

I get my prices from the B&H website.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:54 AM   #22

How about getting the Nikon D50 body for 550 USD and the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro for $380.00?

The build quality of that lens seems to be one of the better ones around.

Coupled with the Nikon D50 body, the total weight will be around 1075 grams (About 1 KG).

Just my suggestions only.

EDIT:

If you want a two lens combo, try this;

D50 body plus the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC and the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM APO.

I know that the 18-50mm cost about $450.00. I'm not sure about the 50-150mm.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:25 AM   #23
Super Moderator

The OP wanted image stabilisation.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:55 AM   #24

From what I can see, I should try and get one lens with VR/IS but be a zoom (18-135 or whatever) and one lens with a low F-stop but maybe something more normal. Like 17-55 with <2.8f. ?

That way I have something I can zoom out to without using a tripod and something that I can use indoors without a flash? Hows my thinking? Either way I think thats gonna be exspensive... The D80 stock for $1299 will give me a great zoom lens without VR... But the 400 will be cheaper to begin with. But not so good with zoom. With stock lens. Hmm...

update:

Looks like I cant find a good mix of lens for the Nikon. I can find a good VR zoom but not a decent low f stop close up lens for indoors. It's leaning more and more to canon..
starstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:54 PM   #25

Are you considering getting Canon 400D with kit lense?

Well, for what I've seen Canon should be ashamed of that lense. The worst kit lense you'll be able to find.

BTW, you are emphasizing anti-shake... Why don't you consider systems which offer in body anti-shake. They are much, much more cost effective than buying Nikon VR and Canon IS lenses.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:05 AM   #26

I thought about that. But the only other camera I would consider is the Sony and frankly, I'm not to fond of it. So its ok, if the lens has the AS built into it. As I would not be buying like alot of lenses, so if I got a decent zoom with AS and something for closer range with wide angle and a Fstop that might fit the bill.

Since I never had to buy a good quality lens before (even when I had my SLR way back when..) I wouldnt mind seeing what a low quality lens and a high quality lens looks like taking the same shot.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:42 AM   #27

update to below: THe camera came in tonight, I can pick it up tomorrow.But questions to which lens or setup should I get or listen to him.

I found a local Canon dealer in Hawaii who said his next shipment should be in this week. He has a package deal for the XTi and the 17-85 IS lens for $1299. Is that a good deal?

He also wants to sell me the 580EX for $470 for my indoor shots. He believes getting a low F lens wouldnt be worth it and I'm better off with the lens he's offering for everyday use and it will take fine "famly party" shots indoor with the flash.

Is that flash overkill? He said he has 430EX for $200 something. But said the cycle time is way worse. I would be able to take much more quicker shots with flash with teh 580EX, take MORE shots and the flash has a better even coverage width wise. And thats why I shouldnt get the 430ex.

Any help?

He also said he could set me up with the 70-300 IS lens for like $699 or something.