Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:50 AM   #1

First of all I have a Sony 828 and I love the macro/zoom/features of it. But its breaking. Keeps turning off for no reason, anyways not to dwell on that. This is what I'm looking for:
1) DSLR
2) Good MP (greater than 8MP)
3) Good low light (A must as the Sony could never do that good without introducing noise)
4) Built-in flash (Just because I'm lazy and sometimes just wont have the room to carry the larger flash)
5) Some sort of anti shake
The kinds of shots I would be doing is indoors, scenery, people. Like that of one would take on vacation. I hate using flash unless I had to. Which is why I want a camera that can do indoor (iso 800+) without introducting too much noise. I want something that I can do wide shots of family. My 828 did 28mm, which I found was decent. I want to be able to shoot with zoom. My 828 did 200mm which I found was a good distance. I want to spend around $2k with lenses and camera.
I was thinking about the new Canon rebel xti or the Nikon D80 or D200.
What kind of lens? I dont want to carry alot of lenses with me. But I know you cant get a all-in-one with low light ability.
Please help! I only have a short time. Why? Going on the yearly trip to the mainland with the family. And this is the only time I'll confive the wife to allow me to get a new camera.
starstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:17 AM   #2

I forgot to mention. I would like some sort of "auto" mode. I'm by no means a professional, but I want something that will get me there. I'm not talking about exsperience, but to have the right starting tools.

I know those cameras are just hitting the market now and I'm hoping it will be out by the time I leave for my trip. But hopefully someone who been following all the reviews on these can point me in what will get close to what I'm looking for.

Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:52 AM   #3

have you looked at the new sony dslr alpha 100 - thant looks liek one of the best budget dslrs on the market at the moment :-)
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:53 AM   #4

You will have to check prices carefully, Canon and Nikon both offer lenses with optical stabilization (Canon IS, Nikon VR). The lenses are a bit pricey and I am not sure if the IS/VR lenses are available to cover the range you are looking for.

Therefore your choices now are:
the Canon Rebel XTi and Nikon D80/D200 you already mentioned,
the Sony A100 which has built in anti-shake so it performs with all compatible lenses but you will have to take a look at its high ISO noise performance. It will be far, far better than your current 828 but may not compete with the Nikons or the Canon.

Your criteria is tough to match at his price point, a Canon or Nikon with two IS/VR lenses to cover the range you want will be costly. The Sony may meet your needs but Pentax and Olympus do not have the resolution level you require.

Good luck

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:05 AM   #5

If the camera handles iso noise well(and I'm aware the lens has something to do with that), I could live without the optical stabilization for the time being as long as I would get something that would work well. I know Nikon has: AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED lens for Nikon DX format digital SLRs. Which isnt bad but not the greatest that I could get for the camera. But with a f of 3.5 it doent sound like it would handle low light well?
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:13 PM   #6

For static shots, the Nikon 18-135mm w/ the D80 will probably be ok, especially if you use a tripod. Shooting subjects in motion will be alot tougher. You're main problem with this setup will be availability. The camera either just has started shipping or will be shipping soon, and unless you're on a waiting list, you probably won't be able to get the camera by the date you need it. The D50 is readily available, quite a bit cheaper and has great low light performance. You could add a third party 18-200 zoom and a shorter bright prime to cover the real low light situations and be well under budget. Sony and pentax have Anti shake built in and offer similiar lens setups. Don't get too hung up on Megapixels...you can easily make quality 11x14 prints with any of the current 6mp DSLRs out there. Going up to 8 or 10 Mp only gives you another 1" to 1 1/2" in print size, although you do get a little more room to crop if necessary. The difference between 6 and 10 is not as much as it may seem. The 10MP cameras also tend to show slightly more noise at higher ISO's.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:14 PM   #7

I am aware about how the MP isnt much of an issue if you have a good camera. My friends D10(I think) takes way better shots than my 828 and its less MP. I am looking for something that I would be able to crop more Just in case.

The Nikon lens I mentioned, is that actually worse than that that comes with my 828? I could've sworn my 828 had a much lower f rating than that lens?

Yeah, these cameras are gonna be in short supply, but I'm sure if there's a will, there is a way.

What makes it hard is since I'm moving from a camera close to two years old and not in the same league as the camera I want to get, I still have a mentality that taking pictures with the lens that come from the kit wont be any better than my 828. but I'm sure it would/should.

Btw, I would love to get something like a 5d that full frame cmos sensor does make a difference. Too bad at that point, the camera becomes a steep learning curve for me as its not really a "auto" camera. Yes, the price it out of my range too.

Btw, do you think that the D200 is in the running with these new cameras? Its an older camera but it was a good camera..

And this is whats hard for me. The D30 from Canon was just released (sorta) but it seems "less" of a camera than the new Rebel. But isnt the D30 supposed to be a higher model? Augh? SO confused. Wrong time for my cmaera to be breaking on me.

a good example is this shot:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/IMG_8457.JPG

Its with the d30 at iso3200. My 828 had that much noise ( swear) at 800 and it would be blurry to boot.

Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:00 PM   #8

A lens' rating is not just about f stop range. Sure a low fstop means better performance in low light as it allows in more light, but that isn't all that makes a lens good or not. The 828 has a very good lens attached to it, but I guess the 18-135 from Nikon would be as good. It is a stop slower , but it actually has a great aperature range, going up to at least f22, whereas I think the 828 only stops down to f8. You probably won't use these smaller aperatures often but they are great for really bright light or macro work to maximize DOF. This lens won't likely suffer from the purple fringing that the 828 struggled with as well.

The D200 is a great camera, and it is not all that old...it is less than a year old. However if you're basically going to be using auto, the D200 is probably overkill. you're better off spending the extra money glass.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:45 PM   #9

So as far as high iso and noise, the D200 and the new models are about the same. So I should look at the one with more auto features and get a better lens? That would be the Canon 400. But if the noise is only as good as the old rebel, then that wasnt the greatest either right? I know the cameras arent out yet, so there isnt much you can tell me, but am I following along on this correctly so far?

Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:34 PM   #10
Administrator

starstreak wrote:
Quote:
The D30 from Canon was just released (sorta)...
Try almost 6 years ago.

Canon EOS-D30

You're thinking of the Canon EOS-30D versus EOS-D30.

I'd make sure not to get the model numbers mixed up if you decide to buy one. The D goes after the 30 for the newer model. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote