Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Wildlife Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/wildlife-photos-18/)
-   -   divebomb (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/wildlife-photos-18/divebomb-28515/)

aladyforty Jul 1, 2004 7:50 AM

this bird is tiny and I only just managed to get him as he is so fast. They dive into the tree at such fast speeds.



http://img58.photobucket.com/albums/...y/divebomb.jpg

eric s Jul 1, 2004 8:38 AM

It makes you wonder why they doin't hit anything! One of those mysteries that I don't understand.

Nice action shot, that bird was really moving!

Eric

ferny Jul 1, 2004 8:47 AM

Fast reflexes!

I think (hah!) that the reason why they don't hit branches is because they see things at a higher speed than us. Our eyes view things at around 50fps. Birds see things at a much higher rate. So everything normal to us is slow motion to them. Weaving between branches is easy. That's the reason why you can never hit a pigeon with your car. No mater how hard you try. :lol:





Note - I don't try to run over pigeons.

geoffs Jul 1, 2004 8:59 AM

ferny wrote:
Quote:

That's the reason why you can never hit a pigeon with your car. No mater how hard you try.

Note - I don't try to run over pigeons.
Well, ferny, how wrong you are :-)

Disclaimer: I don't try to run over pigeons either, but...

Perhaps 20 years ago, while driving to work in an urban area, I saw a flock of pigeons on the road in front of me. I was going perhaps 30mph and didn't slow down because this road always had the pigeons on it and they always had gotten out of the way previously. This time was different. As I reached the flock I realized that they were slow to fly away and it really appeared as though I might have hit one or more of them. However, I could see in my rear view mirror that no pigeons had been left on the road so I felt much relieved and kept driving on. Strangely, as I continued my journey to work on city streets, I noticed that people were giving me wierd looks as I drove by. When I got to work I decided I better give my car an inspection and when I got around to the front of the car I was spooked by the sight of a pigeon wedged into my front bumper. The pigeon's upper body and head were erect and pointed forward - it sort of looked like a figurehead at the front of the car. Surprisingly, it was still alive. I got a 2x4 and used it pry the bird out of the bumper and it immediately flew off apparently uninjured.

So, yes, at least I can hit a pigeon with my car...

photosbyvito Jul 1, 2004 10:32 AM

haha...funny story geoffs...i have a funny story about hitting wildlife, lol

i was riding my bike (i'm 15 :( ), on a slight downhill, but i was flying, lol. as i was riding up ahead i see a squirrel trot out into the road, and i notice a car coming behind me (i'm on the shoulder) the squirrel quickly runs to the side of the road to avoid getting hit, by the car, and i came within 4 inches of running over that little squirrel....on my bike....lol

it was rather amusing...haha

anyway, nice shot alady! i love watching birds dart into the trees, thanks ferny, for the explanation of how they do that....that makes sense....

here we go....this is a good example of a shot, that the bird isn't really that close, but is still interesting, and compositionally strong..actually, shots that the bird is farther away are normally more compositionally strong...

ok...i'm done..lol

Vito

geoffs Jul 1, 2004 10:40 AM

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:

(i'm 15 :( )
Vito, I've heard you state your age on this board in another thread before, but everytime you say that you're only 15 I am just amazed. Your maturity and knowledge for "just 15" is nothing short of unbelievable.

photosbyvito Jul 1, 2004 12:00 PM

thanks geoffs :) i've learned a lot here....and i like to read...

Vito

Chako Jul 1, 2004 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmm...I did witness a strange event involving a pigeon and 3 cars.

We were driving behind a line up. I saw the pigeon fly low about 4 car lengths in front of us as we were all going at speed. It apparently struck the first car in such a way that it was tossed up over it. The pigeon thendid a glancing blow on the second car's roof topbehind it. Bounced off that roof, to the roof of the third car before us. It then fell to the side of the road. We pulled over as well as two of the participating cars, only to find the pigeon getting up. It shook its head a little, tried to walk, and sat down once. Then it got spooked by all of us going to inspect it on foot,and flew off as if nothing ever happened to it. That is one tough bird!

Aladyforty, very nice photo. Did you use sport mode? I have only recently tried it out although owning the camera for about 4 weeks now. Quite impressive on birds. Here is a shot I would have never gotten otherwise.

eric s Jul 1, 2004 11:55 PM

I don't know photosbyvito, personally I had a lot of fun at 15. I really don't see it as a need for a :(. More like a :P, and on occasion a :cool:.

Actually, I had more fun in highschool than college. College was work.. I was paying to go there, after all, so I worked to get something out of it (and had fun too.) Highschool had less pressure, less work (wasn't as hard), and more fun.

I believe sports mode uses focus tracking (I don't own the rebel, I own the 10D.)If so it can work well, but it can also produce out of focus shots because it doesn't work in focus priority mode. So it will try to take a picture while the focus is trying to adjust for tracking reasons. So while I do use it, I wouldn't use it all the time.

Eric

photosbyvito Jul 1, 2004 11:58 PM

lol....it was only a :(because i don't have a car to almost run a squirrel over with....lol

other than that....15 is awesome :)

Vito

Chako Jul 2, 2004 6:59 AM

Hmmm...I got into photography about that age. I learned on a Kodak Retina 1A that my father had.That camera took some of the sharpest photos.

Then I took a High school course that was offered as part of the Graphic Arts program. That really got me hooked. I just had to buy an autofocus camera because they were the newest and greatest thing. Besides, a friend had bought himself a Minolta Maxxum 7000, and we would all drool over the thing. Saved up for ages until I could get one, a Pentax SF10 in 88 (the darn thing cost over $800 Canadian at the time):(. I still have it as one of my film cameras. The autofocus didn't work so well in those early generations, and looking back...boy how the tech has changed...

Now things have sort of gone full circle. I now teach photography (among other things) at the High School level, trying to hook others into this wonderful hobby.


Yes, sports mode has its uses. I have found its greatest advantage is in taking avian flying photos. It is much quicker at focusing then I am.:D





aladyforty Jul 2, 2004 8:06 AM

I used auto on this shot and panned along with the bird.

I too started photography young, 13. My dad got me a little agfa instant camera for christmas and I never stopped loving the hobby. I went nuts when I had my first child and took hundred of photos:-)Seven years later I had my second child and as they were aged so far apart it was like having another first child so out came the cameras again, that was when I got my first SLR (1988). Now my son who is Vitos age runs when he see the camera come out. I guess thats what happens when you stick a camera in ones face too often.

ferny Jul 2, 2004 8:20 AM

I'm a late starter then. Sure I had the odd point-and-shoot when I was little, but never really used them. I only got a proper camera in February this year, a film SLR.
Well, if you're going to start something, you may as well jump in with both feet. :lol:

jackrussell Jul 2, 2004 8:26 AM

I think i've got a lot of catching up to do. I'm 38 and just got my first camera in March this year. I'd hardly ever touched a camera before this so i've a lot to learn. :-)

geoffs Jul 2, 2004 8:39 AM

jackrussell wrote:
Quote:

I think i've got a lot of catching up to do. I'm 38 and just got my first camera in March this year. I'd hardly ever touched a camera before this so i've a lot to learn. :-)
Jackrussell - long after you've played your last recreational soccer you'll still be taking photographs. It's a great hobby because you're never too old to start learning photography and can enjoy it until the day you depart from this life.

BTW, all of you young people had camera technology available to them as youngsters that I could never even have imagined when I was a child. I started out with pinhole cameras and little Kodak Brownies :-)

geoffs Jul 2, 2004 8:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
aladyforty wrote:
Quote:

I used auto on this shot and panned along with the bird.
I used the panning technique on a series of shots I took of seagulls at the Oregon coast last week. But, instead of using auto exposure I selected shutter priority mode with a speed of 1/1000 so I could ensure stopped action - it was bright enough that my f-stop would be high enough. I just wish I had more than 140mm max focal length available with my setup. Here's an example of some of the seagull shots:



ferny Jul 2, 2004 8:51 AM

I've heard bad stories about the Brownies. I'm glad I have more choice than them now. :lol:

jackrussell Jul 2, 2004 8:54 AM

Ferny, i saw a post about Brownies earlier. It was something to do with having trouble uploading the photos to the PC. :-)

geoffs Jul 2, 2004 8:55 AM

Hmmm, that must have been an IQ problem with the Brownie and the owner! :-)

Chako Jul 2, 2004 1:50 PM

Lol, I would imagine so! :lol:

Nice gull pictures.


bradg Jul 2, 2004 10:28 PM

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:

....i like to read...



thats a joke right?





nice shots aladyforty

photosbyvito Jul 2, 2004 10:54 PM

lol....nope no joke...reading is cool...

Vito

bradg Jul 3, 2004 12:01 AM

what do you read (silently snickers to himself)

photosbyvito Jul 3, 2004 12:02 AM

books...

bradg Jul 3, 2004 12:06 AM

your kidding!!!
no wonder i got a b in reading, i've been trying to read my dog, max

geoffs Jul 3, 2004 12:07 AM

Well, I see that this topic thread has become quite informative... :(

bradg Jul 3, 2004 12:15 AM

i dont know who is to blame.... :?

(cough)vito(cough)

photosbyvito Jul 3, 2004 12:15 AM

lol brad....

geoffs...this is good stuff....you should really read this stuff, you'll learn ALOT!

;)

Vito

bradg Jul 3, 2004 12:18 AM

LOL!

ya, look at all were learning, were learning good comunications skills, right vito

bradg Jul 3, 2004 12:26 AM

and, were not just learning, were teaching others too, kinda like an example


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:46 PM.