Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 7, 2003, 8:16 PM   #1

Default An Osprey Cruising

1/2 of a nesting pair, searching for breakfast. 600 w/TC14E, Wimberley head (Thanks, Clay!)

Kevin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2003, 9:58 PM   #2

Ok, I have to ask. Did you do something to the background in photoshop? With next to no motion blur on the bird, those streaks in the background look... wrong. I would have expected paning would have produced some movement blur on the bird's wings if not the head (as it looked around.)

It is an amazing shot, thought.

I'm not sure if I want more depth of field (to get the entire bird) or not. Not having it gives it a look like it blends into the background some how. I do love Osprey.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 11:06 PM   #3

hmm, doesnt look real, looks more like a painting
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 1:11 AM   #4

Dont know about PS work here (but I agree the DOF looks a bit funny, because the wings seems to have an uneven DOF), but you can easily get this effect with the moving background and frozen object by panning the camera while you shoot. No magic there!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 4:37 AM   #5

I REALLY like this shot.... amazing that you managed to capture it on camera..
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 4:47 AM   #6

Thanks for the kind words guys. Eric, the rig I use with the 600 allows me to acquire and track very quickly and easily, the bird was moving at a pretty good clip relative to the backround, as far as DOF is concerned, and as strange at it may sound, this type of glass (read: very expensive ) is generally shot wide open or very close to it. Stopping down can actually give poor performance. In all honesty some credit must go the the camera, it's 5FPS frame rate is a big help!! I was able to get 8 or 9 shots of this flyby and you are seeing the best one. No Photoshop tricks were used here although I considered a gaussian blur on the fog to make the Osprey "pop" a bit more.

Again..thanks to all for your comments and replies!! They are much appreciated
Old Jun 8, 2003, 4:57 AM   #7

I must ask, what shutter speed were you able to use?

and was the shot made in the evening (looks like it when you look at the eyes of the bird)?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 5:17 AM   #8

Wow,
Wonderful.
I'm still battling the shutterlag.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:10 AM   #9

Thanks Frank, you're right about the lag it's a killer! Which makes some of the digiscoping shots I've seen people post, just that much more amazing. Even with an primo scope like a Leica or similar you still have that lag to deal with

Hi "L", the shutter was 1/800. I generally shoot in AP mode so the F-Stop was 5.6. The shot was taken in the very early morning with the sun illuminating the Osprey's left side.

Sadly, a predator got to the nest and destroyed the eggs. the pair is still in residence though.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:09 PM   #10

I've used some long lenses, but nothing that long. If you'd like to lend it to me for an extended period of time, I'd be much abliged. (not that it would fit on my Canon, but I've a friend with a D100 that would do just fine!)

I'm just impressed that the shutter can be 1/800 & f5.6. With my 400 f5.6 even on a really sunny day I can't use it at faster than about 1/400 that (it really frustrates me!) How do you get to that fast a shutter speed? I was trying to get a picture of a diving turn and it was more frustrating than successful.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote