Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:38 AM   #1

Default Our resident Bunny

This little guy decided to take up residence in our backyard. I had to do a lot of post-processing on the original shot. I tried for a week to get the shot outside but everytime I got close enough he scooted away. I finally had to resort to taking it through a somewhat dirty window that also had a lot of glare from the sun.
Anyway, I did my best to clean it up a bit. Hopefully I'll have more opportunities to catch him off guard.

jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:07 AM   #2

I hope you get more too. Bunnies are cute.

The ones in my parents backyard are too scared for me to get anything decent even with my 400mm. But I'll keep trying. It doesn't help that they keep to the edges of the grass, in shadow. Something you could do it take a chair outside and read while you wait for him. You'll get a nice relaxing time, and they will get used to you and come out more.

You might consider trying neatimage (www.neatimage.com) in your post processing workflow. It might help remove some of the noise/grain from the picture. It isn't really bad, but why not try it when the software is free (the demo is free for non-commercial use.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:22 AM   #3

O.K.
Here is original picture cropped

Looking at it now, I think I went a little overboard on the post-processing. I'm really new to photo editing and trying to get a happy medium between making a picture better (clearer more vibrant) and over doing it. Right now I'm only using Photoshop 5 LE that came with my G3- I will probably be getting elements in the next little while.
I have neat image but it is taking me time to get used to it too. It works better when there are large areas with no detail, but I find it very difficult when there is not a large area to sample

Any suggestions on how to post-process my original would be great. I think I made the grass too green (it almost glares out at you) and the bunny's colouring is a little off)

Oh well, that's what I'm here for, to learn.

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it
Old Jun 13, 2003, 2:46 PM   #4

I'm very new to post processing too. I am not good at it. I only found the magic of levels to bring details out of shadows recently. Wow, its like magic.

For neat image, take a test image at every ISO of a white piece of paper in good light. Make sure its focused by focusing on the wall/chair/whatever the paper is on (don't know if focus is necessary, but I did it anyways.) Then use that to build a profile of your camera and save them. I found instructions on how to do it, but I don't recall if it was on their web page or in the info which came with it. It was fairly easy, and then you can apply the proper profile to your pictures. I never try to find a place with no detail, because almost all my pictures have detail.

I can't get to the neatimage web site to look up the instructions. I'll have to try later.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 8:23 PM   #5

Default Thanks

I know I really have to read througn the instructions on how to use that program. I've seen examples posted where people have done absolutely amazing things with it . I don't feel so bad, though. I just got my G3 less than two months ago so I don't feel so bad if I'm not "picture-perfect" yet.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:25 PM   #6

although the cropped image is nt as colorful as the uncropped, it does look a bit more natural. The grass looks too green in the first....
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:12 PM   #7

Default re: Green Grass

I totally agree. The more I look at that grass, the dizzier I get. I also tried putting the picture through a program called sharp image but my results still weren't very good. I'll just have to get that bunny to be more cooperative next time :lol:
Old Jun 14, 2003, 1:51 AM   #8

Thought I would have a shot in trying to improve your bunny! I applied Photoshop USM of Amount 280, Radius 0.7. Then I tweaked the Hue/Saturation desaturating the greens and the cyan cast that was on the bunny.Finally I cropped it to what I liked.

regards
Martin.
mpaul73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 2:09 AM   #9

Better colors now IMO! The crop is very good as the bunny is "comming" from the upper left corner and arepointing it's nose toward the lower right corner. This is where the most space around the bunny is. Nice thoughtful crop!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 1:42 AM   #10

Default Thanks Martin but I can't see what you've done

Unfortunately, I cannot see your pic. Tried to access the link but get the message "page cannot be found"