Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:46 PM   #1

I am giving this disclaimer:
I am no expert on the different species of Peregrines. As best I can determine the two that I have photographed are Adult and Juvenile Anatum Peregrines. So, I appologize if I am in error, However, I am still jumping out of my skin with excitement at having had the opportunity to get these shots.

I went back to the refuge early Sunday morning and I was lucky enough to come across another Peregrin. This time it was darker and from what I can tell I think it's a juvenile Anatum Peregrine, as opposed to the Adult, this time. The sun was dancing in and out of the clouds so some shots were dark, but when the sun did come out. Oh, baby it was good.
As before, if you would like to see all the shots from that day here is the link,

http://scienceguy.smugmug.com/gallery/2124582
Thanks for looking and all the best,
Steve

Here is a shot from the front with the Sun on it's back.

Buzzsaw, I took your advise and cloned out the distracting twigs and leafy bits. Thanks for the tip.

Another

Here is a different angle with the beautifull Sun just starting to shine.

Finally in full Sun.

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:16 PM   #2

Hey STeve you lucky dog. Luck may have been in your favor for getting an opportunity to shoot another/more Peregrines but it didn't have anything to do with the most outstanding captures you have made here. They are terrific. I'll bet you will be pitching a tent out there before long.:G

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:31 PM   #3
KEM

Steve, these shots are fantastic! I'm very impressed with your Gadwall and Pintail shots on your link. Looks like you have made great strides in mastering the exposure and lighting on that D80 / 200-500 Tamron combination. Beautiful pictures and settings!
I'm coming through Sacramento to visit family in Carson City over Christmas. I'll definitely be visiting the Sacramento Wildlife refuge on my way through.

-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4

KEM wrote:
Quote:
Steve, these shots are fantastic! I'm very impressed with your Gadwall and Pintail shots on your link. Looks like you have made great strides in mastering the exposure and lighting on that D80 / 200-500 Tamron combination. Beautiful pictures and settings!
I'm coming through Sacramento to visit family in Carson City over Christmas. I'll definitely be visiting the Sacramento Wildlife refuge on my way through.

-Kent
Thanks Kent,
I really appreciate the compliment. I have to admit, I am having a really good time with that combo. I suspect that like every other person posting on the wildlife forum, I am just doing what I really enjoy and I am lucky enough once and a while to get some pretty decent results.
I hope you do get the chance to visit the Sac. NW Refuge. It is truely a gem in the middle of the Central Valley. I don't know what you will be driving but if you have a higher vehicle, a van or truck, you will be able to shoot over the cat-tails and higher reeds. They do a pretty good job of maintaining the driving tour, and you can certainly get a lot out of the drive in a normal car. It just helps a bit to be a little higher. My best tip would be drive slowly and watch for wildlife everywhere. If you want any more info just PM me and I would be more than happy to share. BTW, if you happen to see a big silver Nissan Titan 4 door truck, pull over and say hi. I won't need to show you the good spots. LOL. They're everywhere.
All the best,
Steve

P.S. I showed these pictures to a Master Falconer friend and he confirmed that this was indeed a Anatum Peregrine. He said it looked like an immature female to him. He said he knew of an active nest about 12 mi. north and figured that the young birds were finding there way to the refuge.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:57 AM   #5

Great captures! I agree, you have done a very nice job! If I may add a little cc.... and I only do so because these pics are worth the effort to fix a tad. If you use photoshop, I'd use the "clone stamp" function in that top picture to clone out the branches on the right side and on top... I think that will make the bird more of the centerpiece without any little distractions taking away from a nice image. Hope it's okay I chimed in with CC. :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:04 AM   #6

Super shots, Steve. One's I'd love to have in my files.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:06 AM   #7

Steve, these are real beauties, and as you have said, the sun has made ALL the difference, the way the pale of the edge of her feathers stands out is TOO good . Nice capture indeed !!!!!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:13 AM   #8

Buzzsaw wrote:
Quote:
Great captures! I agree, you have done a very nice job! If I may add a little cc.... and I only do so because these pics are worth the effort to fix a tad. If you use photoshop, I'd use the "clone stamp" function in that top picture to clone out the branches on the right side and on top... I think that will make the bird more of the centerpiece without any little distractions taking away from a nice image. Hope it's okay I chimed in with CC. :-)
Buzzsaw,
I never turn down CC. Thanks for the wonderful feedback. I am fireing up photoshop elements as I write. Great suggestion.
Thanks again,
Steve

Jake,
I have greatly admired your photography and wonderful location for some time now. Thank you indeed for your compliment. I was very excited to see how well these came out myself. I just wasn't sure how much cooperation I was going to get from ol' Mr. Sun. Fortunately, he decided to give me a break.
Cheers,
Steve
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:16 AM   #9

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Super shots, Steve. One's I'd love to have in my files.
Bob, I owe you a big thank you for showing me what that Tamron lens was capable of in the right hands. I appreciate your words of encouragment. I only hope I can produce shots half as nice as yours.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:40 PM   #10

I just got around to implimenting the suggestion of Buzzsaw and edited out the distracting branches and leaves in the top picture. Thanks again for the great suggestion.
All the best Steve