Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1

A few weeks back I was out at my favorite wildlife refuge shooting some early morning action. Suddenly I heard some noisey "snuffing and snorting" coming from the irrigation canal. When I looked over to see what was making all the noise I could see 5 playful River Otters making there way towards me. Each was diving down and coming up within seconds with a tasty Perch breakfast snack. The pictures were a little dark so I lightened them up and cropped them about 75% in PSE. Otters have to be the clowns of the waterways. They showed no fear of me. Only intense curiousity.
Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:29 AM   #2

Hi Steve...this almost got by me. It must have been great to be there and watch them feeding and clowning. I've never seen them in person but have been intrigued by there antic's on TV. Is that the sun on the chop and the back of their heads? Some white balance may have removed some of the orange but I still enjoyed the photos.

Ron
rondv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:02 AM   #3

Thanks Ron.
Yes, they are a kick to watch. It was just after Sunrise and they were down in the shadows of the irrigation canal. The Sun was behind me. The orange reflection you see was the sun reflecting off of the dry Cat tails and Bulrush lining the sides of the canal. I had to push the correction to the max to lighten these photos enough so you could see some detail in the Otters faces. I tried using the onboard flash but they were just out of range.
Thanks for you comments,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:39 PM   #4

Awesome, Steve!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote