Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:58 PM   #11

I love cardinals, my homestate's bird, Virginia...all very nice. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:09 PM   #12
VP

Hi Kita, thanks for the comments.

I used a Canon 30D with Canon 400L 5.6 on the Gull.Settings were F5.6 @400 ISOand probably + 1/3 EC....gave me 1/5,000 shutter speedI don't know what equipment you use but....the 400L autofocus is really fast.

Even so, I usually pick one that I think will pass close and focus on it out a ways and track it in staying in focus.If you are using a zoom lens, that is probably your best bet also. I have used a 70-200 2.8 for inflight shots...sometimes works fairly well on a slower moving bird or one that you can follow in closer. Pretty aggravating to miss the focus point though asI usuallycan't refocusfast enough to get the shot.

Hope this helps.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:38 AM   #13
VP

HiBob, thanks for looking.

Thank you Donna....I remember now that you like the Cardinals.:-)
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:09 AM   #14

Hi VP -

Thanks for your reply. I've been using a Nikon D80 with 70-300. I have most recently been trying smaller aps (F11=/-) to try to improve the focusing results with some DOF. This has slowed down the shutter (obviously). Maybe that's my problem.

One thing I am not sure I understand.....you said "focus on it out a ways and track it in staying in focus.", but then you said " Pretty aggravating to miss the focus point though asI usuallycan't refocusfast enough to get the shot".....are you pre-focusing on a spot and waiting for the bird to come into that sweet spot, or continually refocusing while tracking the bird?

Thanks again....I'll go give the open lens/fast shutter another attempt.

Kita
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:53 PM   #15

Fantastic capture andgreat lighting. For 1 and 2, would have been perfect if there had been some out-of-focus foliage of differentcolours and shapesto pierce the silence in the background.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:11 PM   #16
VP

Kita....the comment about tracking it in was in reference to the focus mode of the camera.I usually use Al Servo focus modewhich keeps a moving object in focus as long as the shutter button is halfway depressed.

The aggravating comment was about the use of the zoom lens wherethe bird may have been moving faster than I could get it in focus and the focus point may have been beyond the bird. I may wind up being focused at infinity and then unable to find the object/bird in the lens andtry toquickly refocus on a closer object so I can at least see what I am looking for and attempt to refocus. Not as much of a problem if I get it in focus the first time.

Basically the same situation with the prime lens other than the fact that it willauto focus so fast it makes my zoom seem soooo slow.A big difference is theprime lens doesn't have to go through a range of focal lengths to get refocused.

In good light, the smaller apertures and lower ISO's should do the job as long as you have decent shutter speed. To me, with the lens I use,good light andshutter speed is pretty important.

If you are having problems with shots not having good focus.....not enough shutterspeed may be the culprit.

Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:14 PM   #17
VP

Thanks for the commentwk7leung. The background color in those two come from a distant light green willow tree (about to lose all it's leaves).