Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1

went out in my car to take some pics of leaves, when i saw a squirrel:roll:I had no Tripod the visibility was poor and i really could have done with more zoom

But i tried my best and this is what i got

Gonna go out tomorrow with the tripod and try and get some better ones
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:42 AM   #2

I dont know where that blue has come from either quite annoying but oh well:?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:58 PM   #3

the blue fringing is due to chromatic aberration in the lens, and is not uncommon in compact cameras when shooting at larger apertures (this was shot at f4, just one or two stops up from wide open on the S5600). it'smost pronounced in areas with high contrast, andusually goes away when you stop the lens down a bit.

actually, aside from that, and a bit of softness, this isn't bad at all. not sure what caused the soft image - your shutter was fast enough at 1/1000 to eliminate any motion blur (you don't need a tripod if you can get that kind of shutter speed, and if you use the anti-shake mode, you should be able to shoothandheld down to about 1/250 with good results), so the only thing i can think of is that the AF picked a spot ever so slightly off from where you were aiming - that can happen easily enough in a composition with a lot of distracting elements.

i don't know about the zoom... the EXIF for this photo says your focal length was 6.3mm, which is the 1x, or wide-angle position, so either the EXIF is wrong, or you weren't really zoomed in at all. the S5600 goes to 10x,(that's about the equivalent of 380mm on a full-frame camera), which is normally plenty for shots like this.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:51 PM   #4

very wierd that? the camera was on full zoom so the exif was wrong. I was quite a way away from the squirrel as they are really not that tame where i live:roll:havent tried holding nuts though like ive seen you doing in one of your picswill have to give this a go tommorrow and also take my tripod.

Thanks for the advice and could you tell me how to get the EXIF?