Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:08 PM   #1
VP

Finally ran across one of these today and showing off.Picked up some CA which has been pretty much non-existent with the 30D.

Try again...been having too many glitches lately
Attached Images

VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:16 PM   #2

Heh! Are you missing something here, or is it just me. I'd like to see it. Did you shoot it with the 400/5.6?
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:33 PM   #3
VP

Another
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:38 PM   #4
VP

Bob....I used the 400 5.6, and did not get the image I wanted.

Not real sure what is going on but am having a hard time getting good focus.Not really up on the technical end of some of these issues. May be a communication problem between camera and lens or maybe having a processor problem.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:01 PM   #5

Are you using multiple point focus verses single center point. In the first shot, it would be very easy for the camera to focus on the branches instead of the bird. Multiple point works great when something is up in the sky, but if you add branches to the "picture", that's a different story. The second one looks like it focused on the bird pretty well. If you can, try seeing how it does with a bird or plane up in the sky. If it has problems with that, then I would think there may be a problem.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Great capture of the Kinglet's ruby BTW!
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:19 PM   #6
VP

I use center point Bob, had the problems you mention with multi point and just stay with center. At times the image in the viewfinder looks sharply in focus and the result is slightly or worse out of focus. Next image or two may be really sharp, then a bunch that are not. Started using a window mount and a cable release with about the same results. Pretty much the same with a tripod and cable release, seems like the focus just wanders??

I took a series of 6Mockingbird shots today...two of them right in the middle were badly out of focus. I can't figure it.

Thanks for the comment.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:34 PM   #7

Does sound like you have a problem there. Is it doing it with other lenses? That would confirm it's the camera and not the lens.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:41 PM   #8
VP

I'm thinking it must be a lens problem. I took it off the other day and used my Sigma lenson some shotsand it seemed to be ok....just so slow compared to the 400L. I think I will try it with my window mount and see how it compares. The lens will probably go in for a checkup. Thanks for the ideas Bob.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:56 AM   #9

Hi VP. You might need to get the lens calibrated. I've heard this is not uncommon for many lenses. That might make this problem disappear. Maybe try a few tripod shots with the stabilizer off, and see if it persists. If it does under that condition, it could be the calibration is off.......Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:23 AM   #10

About your problems, haven't a clue, seems you are getting the advice you need. But your pictures are a treat! And you are spooking me a bit, I just ordered the 30D. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote