Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:18 PM   #1

OK - yes - I know this wee one is nowhere near as exotic as the other fantastic wildlife on this forum; but you gotta admit it scores very high on the cute meter!

The rancher whose daughter I had a sitting with found the baby cottontail after burning brush on his exotic game hunting ranch. Unfortunately, the mom and other littermates were nowhere in sight. Ria
Attached Images

RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:22 AM   #2

That's very cute, whenever my rabbit was sick I would have to feed it pineapple juice in the same fashion...
neilvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:26 AM   #3

Hi, Neilvan:

They are having a hard time keeping the bunny alive. Did the pineapple juice work? If so, I'll pass on the idea. Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 7:50 AM   #4

Charming indeed! Looks like he stepped out of a Beatrix Potter story. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:56 PM   #5

RiaRia wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Neilvan:

They are having a hard time keeping the bunny alive. Did the pineapple juice work? If so, I'll pass on the idea. Ria
I should have been a little more detailed in my response. Rabbits tend to have a lot of gastric issues and pineapple juice helps out. Here is a bit of an article on this:

"Pineapple juice, papaya and/or enzyme products are helpful in treating hair-balls in the rabbit."

Because the rabbit can not spit, it ingests a lot of hair when grooming. It is commonly thought that this ingested hair leads to gastric hair-balls ("gastric stasis," see above). For at least three decades rabbit owners have treated this problem with a host of digestive enzyme products including pineapple juice, papaya, or papaya tablets (all of which contain the digestive enzyme papain), or a number of pharmaceutical enzyme products including Prozyme, Viokase and many more. Several well performed scientific studies have shown that these products neither correct nor prevent the accumulation of hair, nor will they dissolve the accumulation of food and hair that forms in the stomach of the rabbit. We have found, however, that pineapple juice may have some positive effect in the rehydration and return of normal stomach acid levels in the stomach contents of rabbits with gastric stasis.

Taken from here: http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-d...alk/myths.html

Good luck with the poor little bunny. :sad:

neilvan is offline   Reply With Quote