Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:39 PM   #1

Okay, I know these shots are not that great. But it was dark, cold and I had a new camera. And I have never had a chance at a cardinal. But, cardinals are a favorite with me and I could not resist. I will be working on my technique and getting to know my camera...thanks for looking and commenting. Donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:42 PM   #2

And heavily cropped...they actually look worst than I thought.
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:56 PM   #3

Do you suppose this is just slow shutter speed, or did the camera find something else to focus on? I'm betting the former. What's the new camera, Donna?

I like most of what I see from you....this, as you implied, isn't your best.

I wish there were the variety of birds on SoCal, that you guys have in the East. Oh well.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:01 PM   #4

I don't know...could be any number of things. I was fooling with the controls on the camera, in low light, with a borrowed lens and the cardinals came. The camera is a canon 30D and I am a bit out of my league. It seems this camera can take wonderful images, I am just not in control of it yet. Donna
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:15 PM   #5

Hi Donna. It looks like the leaves and branches are in focus, so I'm wondering, were you choosing your own focus area, or did you leave it for the camera to choose. Even shooting with a great camera like the 30d, you're still susceptible to blurring if the light is poor. There's only so much you can do in bad light. Maybe the lens you were using was too slow? Just a few thoughts. Don't get discouraged. That 30d is a great camera. Read the manual, and then read it again. Almost all the cameras I've owned, I've read and re-read the manuals up to 5 or 6 times. It really helps when you're under tough conditions. Hope this helps a little........cheers.........Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:25 PM   #6
VP

Donna....congratulations onyournew 30D.

What lens did you use for these? What settings?

Also, what do you have your in camera processing preferencesset to?

Boy, am I nosy!:-)

VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:13 AM   #7

Hi guys,

My experience comes from using an e-500 (nice camera, given to my son) and a pana fz7. Still the canon seems to ask a bit more of me...

The lens which I was borrowing was a canon 75-300mm 1:4-5.6,long but not too bright I guess. I have set up the sharpening in the custom shooting preference #1. I am used to the pana fz7's sharpness. I think I mostlly used spot metering. I will check onexif info. I now have the above zoom, which the friend gave me along with the 1.4 50mm prime, and I bought the 17-40L lens. I try to use the camera a bit each day to stay familiar with what I have learned the day before. But the auto shoot on the above mentioned camera is way different than the auto shot on the pana. I have alot on money in this so, I will learn to use it.

Donna
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:18 AM   #8

The more you use it, the more familiar, I am sure your pictures will be just beatiful....it takes a lot of patience to learn a new camera.....I think your E500 is a great camera, too.
Imaginat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:24 AM   #9
djb

Donna, as someone else mentioned, it looks like the camera focussed on the leaves to the right (our right) of the picture. Is your camera set to use all focus points or maybe the right focus point instear of the center one?? That's what it appears to me. If all focus points are being used, switch to the center point. If it is already set that way, then I have no clue. Also as for camera parameters, I would rather use raw mode with no sharpening and then edit the pictures in a photo editor. I used to use jpeg mode but raw mode gives me a little edge in tweeking exposure and other stuff before editing.

dennis

p.s. what iso were you using?? If you stated that and I misssed it, I appologize. If iso 800 or higher then the "graininess" will be apparents as in your shots. Also putting it through a noise reduction software like neat image or noise ninja might also helo. the more under exposed an area is , especially at higher iso, 400+, will show noise quite a bit.

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:48 AM   #10

Congrats on your camera! DJB has made some helpful comments.... I would shoot in Aperture Priority, ISO 400 and try and do it on a tripod. Like DJB said, ISO's at and over 800 bring the noise, especially when you start lightening shadows and sharpening in PP. Hopefully your next Cardinal photo op will be on a sunny day. :-)

Keep practicing with your camera, read up on EV (exposure compensation) which I am constantly changing as well as your white balance... you can leave your white balance to Auto for now. :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote