Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:58 PM   #1

I have an 300mm lens and until I can buy a new one...what about a teleconverter, which one..? I guess I will lose light. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:38 PM   #2
VP

Lose light and some image quality and probably auto focus ability. I would probably go with 1.4x. I understand the Tamron? does not report so may still have auto focus but may hunt moreto get it.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:40 PM   #3

Maybe that's not the way to go...donna
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:22 PM   #4

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
I have an 300mm lens and until I can buy a new one...what about a teleconverter, which one..? I guess I will lose light. Donna
Sorry Donna but I have no idea. I am going to try a 1.4 tamrom with my new Pentax outfit on a Sigma 50 to 500 but until I try it I have no idea what is going to happen.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:59 PM   #5

Hi Donna

Almost all of the pictures that I post are taken with my Cannon 20D, 100-400L IS lens with a Tamron 1.4x tc between them. The autofocus works, just not as fast but in the late afternoon when the light starts to dim you might as well forgetabout taking pictures of something in the shade because it starts fo hunt for focus. But in the bright sunshine it does great. Hope this helps.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:14 PM   #6

Hi Donna. I too use a 1.4tc (Tamron), and it works quite well in good light. Once the light starts to fade, the auto focus struggles a little I find. Mind you, I haven't tried it yet with the new camera body I bought. Your loss of light increases (an f/4 lens will now be an f/5.6 with a 1.4 attached I believe), and you will more than likely lose some sharpness and contrast. Hope this helps a little...Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:54 PM   #7

Thanks guys...It does help. I won't expect too much from it in dimming light. Donna
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:33 AM   #8

Hi Donna - I use the Canon 1.4 II extender. Seems to work well.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:40 AM   #9

Donna, you already got pretty good info from the others. My only 2cents is that I have a Sigma 1.4tc for my Sigma 100-300mm. Again, it works great in bright conditions but it's a lot more work in low light. Auto focus does work well though. Heck, even my Tamron 200-500mm needs pretty good light to be at it's best. You can bump up the ISO to 800 or better (if your camera doesn't get too grainy) That helps considerably. Good luck.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:47 PM   #10

Thanks everyone, your shots say it all. Perhaps I should have mentioned what I bought. Don't wince...a vivitar series one converter. I have read that the vivitar series one 90mm was very sharp and in looking for that I stumbled on this. Only paid about 80.oo so not a big deal...we will see. It is on it 's way. This is where my inexperience can cost me. But I can't bug you guys 24/7...so donna