Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1

From what I understand, this merlin is the park where I got the red tail with a vole. I've only ever see it once. Unfortunately it likes to have dinner in a very tall tree, but I found a more distant location which provies a smaller picture, but a better angle.

These three are not really up to my normal standards, but I thought people would like them. The first two are crops - with no reduction. Yes, the bird was that far away. The last one is from another location of the same bird after eating. The angle is worse, but its closer so more detail can be seen. It is slightly reduced.

The noise is so high because they were all taken at 400ISO. I don't normally shoot at that speed, but I needed to to get a decent shutter speed.

Camera: all were taken with the 1D MkII N, 600mm + 1.4TC, f5.6, roughly 1/500th-1/650th, tripod
photoshop: neatimage (in two of three - disliked the results in the first one), contrast, crop, sharpen.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:08 AM   #2

Hey look at the bright side, you got out and got to see a great bird of prey! I'd say your sensor or lens has dust bunnies... the second picture above the raptors head has a round spot.... not a biggee, just thought you should know it's time for a cleaning or extended use of the clone stamp tool. :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:12 PM   #3

Damn, I thought it was a finger print on my monitor, but you're right. Definitely something either on the lens or sensor. Time to break out the cleaning supplies.

I really feel the same way. At least I got out and saw a nice raptor. That makes it a good day no matter what else happens.

I've got better merlin shots (humm... maybe I should post one of those) so I'm not planning on keeping many of this series. It was more done for fun.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:11 AM   #4
djb

Well Eric, those are 3 more shots than I have of a merlin. At this point, I'd be happy to take them off your hands and keep them.:blah:

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:37 AM   #5
VP

3 more than I have also. All Iever see is them flitting through the trees.

VP is offline   Reply With Quote