Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:05 PM   #1

Posted another in landscape and said there that this camera is amazing but it will take me ages to learn how to use it. Here's a first effort - suggestions/comments will be appreciated.
Attached Images

MsPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:38 AM   #2

Not a bad first effort at all. I think you will come to love that camera.
When I first got my Nikon I happened apon Ken Rockwell's site. He irritates some, but I found his knowledge and tips to very instuctive. He has just about every Nikon body made in the last several years. D40, D70, D80, and the D200(which is his favorite) He has "How to use" tutorials for each of those cameras. As I said, I have found the info to be very helpful. Especially his suggestions on how to change the settings on the camera. I think it's worth a look.
Hope it helps.

kenrockwell.com

Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:03 PM   #3

Tell us what the set up is for this shot? It looks a little noisy and a little soft. Both of these could be camera settings. What are you post processing with?

I never get that close with a camera... great capture.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:10 PM   #4

Thank you so much for the website suggestions Steve - I will go there immediately!!

Bill, the camera is downstairs and I am too tired to run down - I know I had it on apeture priority trying intentionally to blur the background. I had it at full telephoto - 200 mm and the deer was maybe 40 feet away - in the undergrowth with a guardrail between us. I use Paint Shop Pro 7 and didn't do a whole lot with this - cropped, sharpened with unsharp mask and brightened some.

I don't know how to use all the advanced features of PSPro - I've played around with it but have only succeeded in making my photos look "fake" - so need to practice more. I have PhotoShop but have never had the time to learn that. I want to take a course this summer to get me started. But what I did look at - the automatic features - are a lot like PSPro....

I wish for a forum like this in person so folks could gather togehter with their computers and pass around the knowledge of post-processing. Although I guess we'd have to meet in Kansas and the "car-fare" might be a bit cumbersome :?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:21 PM   #5

Well I would check your ISO speed, then I would look at the camera settings for sharpening, color mode, tone, saturation, these are all set up in the menus. Except for ISO.

I have found that this camera is pretty fickle about movement. Is the 18 to 200 image stabilized? I think it is... still would not want anything less than an shutter speed of 1/250 of a second and would prefer 1/500 of a second (just my preference).

I shoot all RAW and post process everything so I turn everything off on the camera as far as photo processing goes. I do shoot mainly in Color Mode II most of the time. Howeverrr, when I shoot a person in this mode it is too much and I have to work on the photo a good deal (Color Mode I would be best for people.)

I use a tripod most of the time as I do landscapes mostly but I think you shoot a lot of wildlife. In that case your going to shoot high ISO and will most likely need to use a noise reduction software package. The camera has a setting for High ISO noise reduction also. I recommend you use it when shooting above ISO 400. Below ISO 400 the noise is not a problem.

I can send you my email if you like and we can converse that way if you think it would help.

Cheers.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:31 PM   #6

MsPuck IMHO for your first effort you did very well. Keep pressing the shutter and I am sure you will be a Happy Camper with your results.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:36 PM   #7

Curmudgeon wrote:
Quote:
I can send you my email if you like and we can converse that way if you think it would help.

Cheers.

Bill
Thanks for all the tips Bill - it will take me a millenium to process them all = I need to retire RIGHT NOW so I have time for my photography!! Wish I could. And yes, I'd love to have your email if you have the time. I want to do a little more practicing and reading so I won't waste a lot of your time.

I've deleted this photo from the camera and my software doesn't remember all the information - so I must record that info while I am learning for the future.

Thanks again for your kind offer of help!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:36 PM   #8

And thanks to you too Roger, for your kind comments. I will keep pressing that shutter!!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:45 PM   #9

Hi MsPuck. Just read this post and thought i'd let you know i just recently got into the photography scene. Haven't gone as far as you on the DSLR road yet - still using a 'prosumer' dsc-h2. However, the post processing software issues you have were exactly the same issues i had a while back. I did a bit of research on amazon and plumped for a Photoshop CS2 book. It has been an invaluable aid in my progress through the digital image jungle and i think i'm coming up with some half respectable results. The Internet is a huge resource for information - use it! I to have gained valuable hints and tips from the ken rockwell site so a recommend from me too. Good luck on your journey into the DSLR world, i hope to join you sometime soon
desperate_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:53 PM   #10
VP

A nice camera you bought Ms. Puck and I expect you will have control over itvery soon. And a nice subject for first shot!
VP is offline   Reply With Quote