Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:14 PM   #1

20 Below Zero hunting wildlife w/guest

Brrrrrr 20 below is cold.

First I need to introduce my guest it was Uncle Murphy ( Murphy's Law ).

My wife and I were having a cup of coffee about an hour before daylight and she asked me if I was going out because it was so cold out. Minus 6 at my place and it would be much colder down to the lake. I smiled at her and told her not to worry I know what I am doing and I can handle it cause I am prepared. Went out and started up the Camera Wagon and turned on the Heater / Defroster on high. I had me a plan but I didn't explain it when I came back in. The results from the trip would prove I have my act together. Another cup and I am ready to go.

Just above the lake I looked at the outside temperature gauge minus 20 degrees. A big smile and then head to the lake I am ready. Spotted some deer laying down in the snow by some trees. Time to put the plan to work - Put the Camera Wagon in low 4 wheel drive ease up close enough to get a photo with out scaring them, roll down the window and success for a brilliant plan. I am in position everything is perfect, got the Bigma in place, roll down the window and press the shutter and listen to the bust mode a working. I didn't look over to the passenger seat but I am sure Uncle Murphy was smiling big time. THE WINDOW WAS FROZE SHUT. I backed up real slow and parked and put on my vest and off thru the snow to a fence post to hold the camera still. I wasn't dressed for being out in this cold of weather so I didn't stay out for very long any time this trip. About two miles from home around 4 hours later the window decided to work. Thank you Uncle Murphy.

Deer trying to stay warm

A closer look shows they don't look real comfortable.

Bald eagle even looks cold

A couple of young eagles

A couple of young eagles with a close up

All by himself in the cold

A suggestion, When you make a plan don't forget to consider Uncle Murphy might show up.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:51 PM   #2
VP

More very nice shots Roger! The first Eagle shotis just beautiful. I'm really glad you put your current system together, doing a fine job with it.

Edit to say......you keep this up and I may have to re-locate, and I HATEcold weather as a general rule.:-)
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:02 PM   #3

VP wrote:
Quote:
More very nice shots Roger! The first Eagle shotis just beautiful. I'm really glad you put your current system together, doing a fine job with it.

Edit to say......you keep this up and I may have to re-locate, and I HATEcold weather as a general rule.:-)
Thank YA!!!! VP.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:45 PM   #4

Wow Roger, you shots are superb! That new camera of yours must be a gem and you sure are putting it to good use. LOVE the eagle...donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:53 PM   #5

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Wow Roger, you shots are superb! That new camera of yours must be a gem and you sure are putting it to good use. LOVE the eagle...donna
Thank you Donna for the nice comment and for looking. YUP!!! so far I am real happy with my new camera & lenses

TOTALLY WACKY roger