Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:11 AM   #1

After using the 2x converter on my 70-200 lens yesterday, I found when I removed it and put a lens on I had no "beep" to confirm focus and no green dot. I reset camera to default (and lost all my custom settings) and it was back. I don't won't to damage my lens (it was expensive) with this converter...or was it something I did...I don't remember changing anything...and I was manually focusing, I found the auto focus was hunting to much. any ideas....thanks, donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:14 PM   #2
KEM

You do power off the camera prior to changing lenses..right?

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:17 PM   #3

I think I always try to turn the camera off before I change lens...maybe I will try the thing one more time. I just don't want to hurt my camera or lens. Well, I tried it again with the 50mm prime and that is a bright lens and it even auto focused...but when I took the converter off and put the 50mm back on no go...it's like I have to reformat the lens....donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:48 PM   #4
KEM

Hmmm, thats strange. Try a search in the camera forums for any issues with the 30D and third party teleconverters.
-Kent

Old Jan 20, 2007, 1:04 PM   #5

interesting... idon't power off my 30D when changing lenses in the middle of a shoot. is that something i should be doing? i've never had a problem...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 1:17 PM   #6
KEM

Electrical contacts.... When changing lenses its not always a smooth operation and metal parts may cross the pins if not carefull. I'm sure the camera manufacturer builds some safe gaurds into the electronics to prevent damage but I don't risk it. I always turn the camera off. The manual "Nikon" also states to do so when changing lenses or plugging in the usb cable. I've had weird things happen with focus/exposure mode when I forget to do this. It only takes a second to turn it off...
-Kent