Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:56 PM   #1

Antelope Island Buffalo

The herd at Antelope was introduced to the island in 1893. I have been looking for a opportunity to get some photos of Buffalo but not on a ranch so I figured a island would be fine. Also another critter that lives on the island. The air was very strange there was a red alert inversion when I was there.

Two Tone Horns

Just a Rabbit

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2

The Buffalo shots are very cool.
I almost thought that last picture was going to be a Jack-o-Lope. :O
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:23 AM   #3
VP

Good series Roger! I like the color on these. I think Bison are cool animals....and I grew up around a lot of Jackrabbits and they cool too:-)
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:10 AM   #4

another great series, Roger! the more i see from that K10D, the better i think it is! looks like you were able to get right ip close and personal with those critters... one of your shots at least was taken at only 98mm! the bison there must be pretty accustomed to humans...

i didn't know there were any islands in NM... where is Antelope Island? and what's an "air inversion"?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:08 AM   #5

smac wrote:
Quote:
The Buffalo shots are very cool.
I almost thought that last picture was going to be a Jack-o-Lope. :O
smac, thanks for looking and commenting. I didn't see a Jack-o-lope or I would of tried to get a photo of him as well.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:09 AM   #6

VP wrote:
Quote:
Good series Roger! I like the color on these. I think Bison are cool animals....and I grew up around a lot of Jackrabbits and they cool too:-)
Hello VP, I also like Jackrabbits. Thank you for looking and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:11 AM   #7

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
another great series, Roger! the more i see from that K10D, the better i think it is! looks like you were able to get right ip close and personal with those critters... one of your shots at least was taken at only 98mm! the bison there must be pretty accustomed to humans...

i didn't know there were any islands in NM... where is Antelope Island? and what's an "air inversion"?
squirl033 and a good morning to you. I stayed in my car and they pretty much ignored me. I was by Salt Lake on my way to Reno to the SCI show. The island is pretty close to Salt Lake.

temperature inversion, condition in which the temperature of the atmosphere increases with altitude in contrast to the normal decrease with altitude. When temperature inversion occurs, cold air underlies warmer air at higher altitudes. Temperature inversion may occur during the passage of a cold front or result from the invasion of sea air by a cooler onshore breeze. Overnight radiative cooling of surface air often results in a nocturnal temperature inversion that is dissipated after sunrise by the warming of air near the ground. A more long-lived temperature inversion accompanies the dynamics of the large high-pressure systems depicted on weather maps. Descending currents of air near the center of the high-pressure system produce a warming (by adiabatic compression), causing air at middle altitudes to become warmer than the surface air. Rising currents of cool air lose their buoyancy and are thereby inhibited from rising further when they reach the warmer, less dense air in the upper layers of a temperature inversion. During a temperature inversion, air pollution released into the atmosphere's lowest layer is trapped there and can be removed only by strong horizontal winds. Because high-pressure systems often combine temperature inversion conditions and low wind speeds, their long residency over an industrial area usually results in episodes of severe smog

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:22 PM   #8

Roger,

that explains it! i didn't THINK there were any islands in NM! thanks for the info on inversions. we get those here, too, from time to time...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote