Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:26 PM   #1

I put out some chicken, and I was surprised when a pair of red tailed hawks flew in to eat. About 50 feet from my window....

I was using a Fuji S2 Pro, set to P (automatic) and using a Nikkor 70-300mm 4-5.6 lens.....any advice how to improve my photo taking? I am not shooting raw, because I don't know how to process that...would it help?
Imaginat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:37 PM   #2
VP

Awesome to be getting shots like these from your window.

Would shooting in raw help? YES!
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 4:37 PM   #3

Nice shooting

Canon S2IS & Sony VCL-DH1758 Tele Lens
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 4:44 PM   #4

Thank you for your nice praise.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 5:41 PM   #5

How cool to be able to get shots like that right at home. Thanks for posting.

As for shooting RAW, I have been trying to research this myself. From all that I've gathered ( and I am NO authority by any means) it seems that RAW doesn't improve your resolution any only your ability to restore detail from a blown shot. There are pros and cons for shooting either RAW or Jpeg. The main advantage that I can find for shooting RAW is if you aren't very good at setting your exposure (I probably should have phrased that better) RAW preserves all of the information recorded onto your card. If you have underexposed the shot you can still extract the details without ruining the rest of the exposure. Not so for overexposing the shot. Once the details are blown out there is no way to restore them. The other advantage is that the process of recording and processing RAW is a lossless process, unlike jpeg where details are lost in the compression into Jpeg. In fact as soon as you are done with your tweaking of the image the result is then saved as a new Jpeg file. Leaving the orignial RAW file in it's original pristine condition. You can go back and reprocess that RAW image a 1000 times and always have the original data in the shot to work with just like a film negative. The main disadvantage to RAW is that the file sizes are considerably bigger to store. You also need special software to read the RAW images into a PP software like PS CS or elements. There are more and more of these translators showing up all the time so that's not a very big deal. I've decided that it's neither good or bad to process in RAW. It just depends on whether you think you can improve the quality of your shots after they are taken. I grew up learning to control Aptr. Shtr. and ASA(oops, sorry, ISO) to get a good result the first time. (Well, most of the time.) And I seem to be getting pretty good results when I post process in Elements so I don't feel the need to change at this time.
I would love to hear more from those of you that have been shooting in RAW and how it's worked out for you.
Sorry, to take up so much of your thread, but you asked about RAW, and I felt like sharing.:lol:
Anywho, I do like your Red-tailed hawk shots.
I think working on your technique, buying really good glass, and practicing, practicing and practicing will do more to improve your photography whether you're shooting RAW or not.
All the best,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:30 PM   #6

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate you taking the time to make your comments. I have only had my Fuji S2 Pro for a couple of months, and I just got my Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G lens about 10 days ago....not the best, maybe, but all I could afford for now....and I am trying to learn all I can. I got the manual out today and set up my camera to shoot in RAW. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0, and it does process RAW files...so I will try to shoot the next batch of eagle/vulture/hawk/heron shots in the RAW......( :blah: hope the neighbor's aren't watching me!! :G ) I just went out and put some chicken in the field....hope the eagles are hungry tomorrow!! I have decided that the Turkey Vultures have keen sense of smell, so a decaying chicken attracts them, and the Eagles and Hawks watch to see what the vultures find, and zoom in to steal what they want....they just grab it in those talons and fly off with it, so I have to be quick!!
Thanks, again!
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:48 PM   #7

Hey, that's great. I can't wait to see how they come out and get your input about the pros and cons. It's all about what ever makes your shots better. I am still interested in the potential for the RAW format. I just don't think it's the miricle solution to my "slightly out of focus and a touch off in the exposure pictures" I had hoped it would be.
Keep us posted and shoot, shoot, shoot.
All the best,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote