Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:48 PM   #1

How/Why-wildlife calls-Hawk

I was stalking some elk when I found this Red Tail Hawk. I had good cover available and when I got to the top of a ridge I should have a opportunity for a close up. The wind would be in my face so camera noise should not be a problem.

He had no idea I was there I took a couple of bursts of around 5 each.

I used my crow call. Very soft and only 1 call. I wanted to get his attention but not scare him.

Maybe more attention would be better. A soft Elk Calf Call and he raised his head a little.

As you can see same hawk same time and 3 very different looks to choose from for a keeper. I decided to keep #2 & #3. I think #3 is the best because of his proud look. This is why I use wildlife calls.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:31 PM   #2

Umm, the word "astounding" comes to mind. What shots...

I can't do animal calls, but I have a variety of soft, airy whistles and clucking noises that I can use with good success to attract an animal's attention.

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:37 PM   #3

flippedgazelle wrote:
Quote:
Umm, the word "astounding" comes to mind. What shots...

I can't do animal calls, but I have a variety of soft, airy whistles and clucking noises that I can use with good success to attract an animal's attention.

flippedgazelle thank you for the very nice comment about my photos. I do think any kind of soft noise will help. What I have found over the years is if you can just get their attention and not put them on alert or run them off, you have a better chance of getting that keeper.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:18 PM   #4

Nice looking hawk. I saw a light morph Red-tailed hawk just today myself. Looked exactly like that one. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sneak up. It was on top of a telephone pole and took off as I drove up. Pretty bird though. I really like the different looks your hawk gave you. Nice work Roger,
Steve

BTW, my best and only animal call is of Porky Pig saying "Tttthat's all folks." It obviously pales in comparison to your talent. :?
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:32 AM   #5

smac wrote:
Quote:
Nice looking hawk. I saw a light morph Red-tailed hawk just today myself. Looked exactly like that one. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sneak up. It was on top of a telephone pole and took off as I drove up. Pretty bird though. I really like the different looks your hawk gave you. Nice work Roger,
Steve

BTW, my best and only animal call is of Porky Pig saying "Tttthat's all folks." It obviously pales in comparison to your talent. :?
smac thanks for the kind words and for looking. The calls available today take very little talent, just a little practice. Next time capture that hawk so we can see the photos.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:44 AM   #6

Oh man, Roger - that's a super capture. #3 is superb!! That's well done for sure.:-)

Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:35 AM   #7

fishguy wrote:
Quote:
Oh man, Roger - that's a super capture. #3 is superb!! That's well done for sure.:-)

Cheers, Dan
Good morning DAn. Thank you for the nice comment.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:55 PM   #8

Awesome, Roger!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:39 PM   #9

First off, I wanted to say that those are lovely pictures. I was shoting a red tail this morning, but the perch was not as clean as this one. So unfortunately I couldn't get a side view. But I did get unabstructed front view

I would be quite surprised if the hawk didn't hear the shutter of your camera. My experience with raptors is that hey just don't react to it even on a perfectly still day. They have very good hearing.

I know this is absolutely not the intent of the Roger, but I feel obliged to mention this so others who read this thread know it. I also feel bad, injecting something this serious into what is otherwise a happy, fun forum appreciating wildlife photography.

There are laws that make it illegal, in certain situations, to do *almost* what Roger did. With a protected bird, of which there are many (but not Red Tail Hawks any where in the US as far as I know) you can't (among other things):
....annoy wildlife so as to "significantly affect behavioral patterns."

(taken from this link http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/241467.html )
And causing a protected bird (note, that is not only "Endangered" but also "Threatened" birds) to take flight has been considered a significant change in their patterns. So you would be breaking federal law if you came upon a piping plover any where in the US and cause it to take flight. If you used a call to make it turn into better light, or just walked down the beach and scared it - intent has nothing to do with it.

Also, national wildlife refuges (and certain other federal properties?) rules state that it is illegal to make bird calls to influence the behavour of a bird. As, I believe, does the National Audubon Society on their properties.

Now, it should be said that I do some times use calls just like Roger did (I'm quite sure he does it better than me!) so I'm not taking a high horse here. Just trying to inform people that they should know what they are doing before they try to use animal calls.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:46 PM   #10

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Awesome, Roger!
Thank you bmullen for the kind comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger