Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 10, 2003, 7:46 PM   #1

Default Cedar Waxwing

Another from the archives. 80-400 Tokina

Kevin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2003, 8:00 PM   #2

Hi Kevin
I don't understand people on this list, there is so little comments on your beautiful bird shots. I guess I am among the minority of bird nuts. Love that Cedar Waxwing, havent seen one in a long time. None down here in Florida.
Herb S.
Greybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 9:44 PM   #3

Hi Herb and thanks for the compliments. I'm always appreciative when somone takes the time to post a comment.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:22 PM   #4

I've been away today (out taking pictures and hiking) or I would have commented sooner. I just love Cedar Waxwing's. Before my girlfriend's parents moved out to California, their house on this coast had a tree specifically planted out the dining room window to attract these birds. Worked like a charm.... at the peak of migration, they would get a dozen or more at one time.

I have to say, I've never seen one with that tuft on the head. Is that just the wind, or some kinda mating ritual thing?

Lovely picture, truly lovely. Wish I'd have taken it... and then I'd have had the added bonus of seeing one of these birds again.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:11 AM   #5

I had my hair styled that way about 15 years ago!

It's really a great shot.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 8:03 PM   #6

Kevin, nice to see you're back. I thought you had left the forum :lol:
What an interesting looking fellow. Nice shot :lol:
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:31 PM   #7

Hi again all. I've been busy the past couple of days preparing for a show this weekend. We are just starting to accept credit cards and I had to make sure it would go smoothly this weekend.

Eric, I really lucked out on the Waxwings. They were swarming over a nieghbor's berry tree of some sort for several days. I don't recall it being windy when this shot was taken so I'm guessing the crown was up for some other reason?

Lauren, thank you very much. It's such a pleasure to know that one's work is being enjoyed.

Hi Tracey, now how in the world could I even think of leaving all the new friends I've made here?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 2:51 PM   #8

great shot, great detail...

love your photos....

where do you find all the birds? do you have such rich wildlife where you live, or do you have a zoo?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:13 PM   #9

There are a variety of ways to locate birds like this. I'm in Mass, where the very active Massachusetts Audubon Society is located (I grew up almost next door to their head quarters.) They list bird sightings every week in the local paper. They also run a nice web site http://www.massaudubon.org/ )

Every week often isn't enough, but it's a start. I've also tracked down a few sites updated by bird watchers which list what they've seen and where. I also frequent National Wildlife Reserves (NWR) because they will have a variety of bird life depending on the migration patters at that time. (This is why I've been posting mostly Great Blue Heron pictures recently.) Many towns around here have conservation departments that maintain town own land and help promote birding by putting up bird houses and maintaining a diverse habitat.

I'd be interested in how Kevin finds out about these as well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:19 PM   #10

This is superb. It is one of the best Waxwing photos I have ever seen. I never can get very close to these rare beauties.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote