Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:48 PM   #1

I shot in the RAW, and processed it..., did a big crop

Imaginat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:49 PM   #2

Imaginat, that shot's taken from above the heron. I'm curious as to howyou manage that - care to share? :-) Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 6:12 PM   #3

Hi Dan. I thought I had mentioned my technique somewhere? Hmmmm. I was trying to lure the eagles in my area to me to take photos. I put out chicken, about 50 feet from my house....and then I went upstairs and opened my bedroom window and set up the camera on a tripod....Last week, I got rewarded with Turkey vultures, black Vultures, Eagles, the Redtailed hawk, and to my surprise, the heron. The eagles come about once a week, I hear them overhead...the hawks are roosting in the woods about 1000 feet behind my house. This heron has been hunting in the ditches near the woods. I was floored when he came to snatch up what the others had left. He has come for 3 days in a row! Guess everyone is hungry this winter!!

So, yes, I am above him, in my second story bedroom window! Shooting all kinds of birds!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 6:48 PM   #4
VP

What do you think about shooting in the RAW? I guess the neighbors didn't mind:G

As harsh as the light seems to be, you picked up some pretty good detail.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 6:56 PM   #5

Thank you, VP. Hope my neighbor didn't have her camera out, or we may see the butt icon, yet! I am really enjoying using the RAW function. I really see a big difference. I don't know what I was afraid of. But I see I have to buy lots more memory cards. I also see it will use up a lot of hard drive memory. How do you all handle storage, organization of your images? Do you store them onto CD in the RAW state, or process them, then store them? Or do you all use other means of storage? I really am taking a lot more pictures than I used to!!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:24 PM   #6
VP

Yep, RAW is a huge memory user. That is why when I have the time I still preview what I have shot to see if the pose was what I was after, etc; If not, I delete right then.It is nothing to fill a 2gig card. And trying to store all that on your hard drive until "you get around to it" will soon overwhelm it.

I really try to make myself download at first chance and go through them right then and delete the ones I don't want. MyPLANhas beento convert and process the converted image and put that into a processed folder by subjectand the RAW of it into another folder (or if named/numbered right, can be placed side by side in same folder).

Other than that, I have a 320gig external hard drive that I keep emptying into and also put copies on CD. I just added another 512mb of memory to my computer soit could move fast enough just to process what is currently on there.

Needless to say, I am not near as shy about deleting images as I once was.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote