Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1

Here in florida we have lots of these lil guys....

Wood Warbler

Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:56 PM   #2

The texture appealed to my senses. Very impressionistic!
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:00 AM   #3

Hey Willow,
Nice to see you again. It's been awhile for me since the good old Panasonic days. I see you have a D80. I also have the D80 and like it quite a bit. I look forward to seeing your posts.
All the best,
Steve

BTW, I also like the look of your photo. Wk7leung is right, it's very impressionistic. I like it.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:44 AM   #4

thx Wk7 for the great comment...I was thinking something on them same lines BUT its not like me to get the big head about my own work :evil:

and Mr smac how u been m8t??? I have had my D80 for about 3 weeks now and I am having a wonderful time with it...I still have my fz20 as well since buying a good prime macro lens is down the road for now...I wish we could still return coke bottles for cash :-) but boy would that be a lot of soda !!!! I have only a few minor complaints with the d80 1 big 1 for me is the problem with over exposure while in the AUTO mode..the camera not being able to control exposure in AUTO is a major factor, as its not uncommon for a person to want the AUTO mode for them quick shots.I would like to see a photo or two from other owners of the 80 to see if its as bad as my camera..even in the other semi Auto modes it over exposes..we all know that we need a little under exposure if any thing.
if there is something I am missing here please take me by the hand and lead me in the right direction.....

willow
Old Mar 1, 2007, 8:26 AM   #5

Very nice, kind of an oriental feel...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:11 AM   #6

Very nice!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:15 AM   #7

Nice shot Willow. Another FZ'r joins the SLR crowd. It's just a matter of outgrowing the FZ. Great camera.
I noticed you're reply to Steve about exposure problems. It seems like a lot of DSLR's need a lot more attention paid to exposure than the FZ's or other all in one cameras. I'm not really sure why, but it could be due to the different lenses that can be chosen instead of one lens. My DSLR (not a Nikon), underexposes by 1/3 to 1/2 EV most of the time, but not always. The best workaround is probably to take a test shot, which I do frequently, and check the histogram, then adjust accordingly. Shooting RAW helps too, as you can save blown highlights by about 1 stop, whereas in jpg, you can't. I know on my FZ, I always had ev comp set at -1/3, which worked about 90% of the time. This same setup won't probably work on a DSLR. Different ball game altogether. I'm constantly fiddling with ev comp.......cheers.......Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:42 PM   #8

I've had mine since November. I never use Auto. I amlost always shoot in P or Program mode. I have also found that I need to adjust the EV to -2/3 (-.7) to avoid some overexposing of white areas like in Egrets in sunlight. Otherwise I have been very happy with the camera and it's performance. I have read that that's about the only difference in exposure ability between the D80 and the D200. That simple EV adjustment does a pretty good job of compensating. I agree that it would be nice to be able to rely on the exposure meter and not have to adjust to get a perfect exposure, but othewise I am very happy with mine. Maybe in the future there will be a D200 but for now my D80 works very well for me.
Later when I get a chance I will post pictures showing the difference between the adjusted and non adjust EV setting with some pictures.
Steve
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:51 PM   #9

Here is an example from November before I learn to adjust the EV

Here is another Egret Photo with the EV Bias set to -.7. I think you can see a little more feather detail. It's not so blown out.

Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:12 PM   #10

Hi Donna
thx to all for the comments and heads up on things its nice to see my pana friends and to know that here at steve's a person can always get a helping hand when needed:G
And smac I too mainly shoot in manual mode always have even with my fz20 I like the D80 as well...

I got lucky with this shot here as I was saying its them out of no where shots that one doesnt have time to compesate with the setting that get away...

Attached Images