Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:31 PM   #1

I see many nice shots taken in Program mode...is there any reason not to use this mode except for creative purposes...for the most part I use Aperture priority, but a few times I shot in both modes and the camera's choice of aperture was better than mine. Thanks for comments. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:53 PM   #2

Hi Donna. I shoot, like you mostly in Av, but lately have been using Tv a fair amount, as my new camera has a very useful auto ISO feature that works quite well. I've never shot in P.

Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:58 PM   #3

What camera are you using...donna
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:36 PM   #4

Pentax k10d.....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:29 PM   #5

Hi Donna -

I use shutter priority mostly, to control shake and motion blur. When those two things aren't an issue, I use aperture priority for DOF control. I guess, in Program, you can up the shutter speed if you want, right?

Your shots are better than mine, already, so I'm not sure you should put much weight on this advise:?
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:51 PM   #6

Thanks guys, I got to thinking about all this when I spotted some great shots on Flickr and the gal over there said " I only shoot in Program"...just made me wonder. Donna
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:46 PM   #7

Donna

kd10 is a great camera and Donna you have shown that!!!! I shoot in M or P for the most part..I need flexibility with the exposure and such....

Nikon D80
willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:30 PM   #8
djb

I shoot primarily in Av mode. I usually shoot wide open for at least 2 reasons. 1. i need the highest shutter speed I can get. 2. for a soft background which sometimes can "melt away" distracting stuff. Macro I shoot primarily in manual mode and use flash.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:15 AM   #9

Hi Donna, I use the P (Program: Auto Exposure) mode on my Nikon about 90% of the time. The camera can auto set the f/stop and shutter speed faster than I can on the fly. If I feel the need I can rotate the rear comand dial and select alternate combinations of f/stop & shutter speed that result in the same exposure. It seems to work really well for me so far.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:25 AM   #10

Donna, most of the wildlife shooters I read about[and I have taken my cue from them, as well as Canon's marketing manager in SA], shoot in Aperture priority mode. As Dennis has mentioned, you want the highest shutter speed available, and generally, nearly as wide an aperture as your lens will give, [ for 2 reasons, 1- shallow DOF, 2- Max SS]

If you set your camat Av [Aperture priority], your camera will expose automaticallyfor the highest shutter speedat that instance that you press the shutter. If you are shooting stationary objects, the whole story changes, but we all know thatbirds and other creatures are rarely still, and to capture them SHARP, the shutter speed needs to be as high as possible.

ISO settings will change your SS relatively, the higher the ISO, the higher your SS, which the cam will automatically up the SS accordingly [NB, the higher the ISO, the more noise]

Most lenses have a "sweet spot" as far as aperture is concerned, IE: the 100-400 I use seems to be best around f7.1 - f8.0, so I have my camera set at : f7.1, Aperture priority, ISO 400, this seems to be the best balance of NOISE/DOF/SS for most "moving" occasions for me. Trust this helps

PS : I have found that in P mode, there's no way that the camera can know that the object you are shooting is moving, and that you are looking for a high SS, so it could automatically call for a smaller Aperture [higher number] due to lighting conditions, and therefore a lower SS, and one could then have blurring of wings or beaks etc.

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote