Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:42 AM   #11

Thanks for looking guys and Steve I appreciate your comments. :-)

Gallatin, in some respects you are correct, but the gentleman that runs this place keeps them in enclosures, when we set out to photograph them they are transported to area's that ARE NOT fenced in and they have "handlers" that keep them surrounded to discourage them from running away as it is in no mans land. So to compare them to zoo shots on your end really shows a tremendous amount of ignorance. For the record over 95% of animal shots you see in books and magazines are from places exactly like this!

I'll describe some of how they handled each animal as I post new series. For the Arctic Wolf we went to a near by "unenclosed" gravel pit that had recently had over two feet of fresh snow dumped on it. They brought along another Wolf (timber) and had to keep it on a chain as it deters the other "free" wolf from running away... something about wanting to stay with each other. They had three "handlers" that basically circled the area as best they could and kept venison handy for snacks to keep him interested in moving around. We were not allowed to attempt to touch the animals and none of the four species we photographed were in "enclosed" or "fenced" in quarters.

So Mr. Gallatin, I hope this makes it easier for you to understand the unique situation... it's not always black and white... the Lynx we photographed was absolutely carrying an attitude... I would have liked to see you go up to it and try petting it... now that would have been an interesting photo opportunity! :evil:
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:49 AM   #12

Quote:
All are very nice shots !!! It would be my view to say these wolfs are in there natural environment and not caged so in my option........... I would say gallatin is really just Nit - Pickin for 1 reason or another and I think Mike in his opening description did not try to pull a fast 1 on any 1 here...

great photos!!!
Thanks Willow. :-) You are right on or I wouldn't have said things like "paid to play" etc. I sense exactly what you you said about trying to be nit picky for whatever reason. I'll stop pilling back on you now Gallatin, but will say that maybe next time you should slow downand think before you type as it was laid out where my four year old son could understand it.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:10 AM   #13

What is the bottom line????

IMHO: Wonderful photos of a beautiful animal. I am anxiously waiting to see more from your trip.

Thanks for a great series.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:35 AM   #14

Great shots, Mike!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Gallatin, in some respects you are correct, but the gentleman that runs this place keeps them in enclosures, when we set out to photograph them they are transported to area's that ARE NOT fenced in and they have "handlers" that keep them surrounded to discourage them from running away as it is in no mans land. So to compare them to zoo shots on your end really shows a tremendous amount of ignorance.

Are you joking? They are on chains and are kept in enclosures. Of course they are zoo/game farm shots.

Quote:
For the record over 95% of animal shots you see in books and magazines are from places exactly like this!

Yes, that's too bad.

I guess the good thing is that it promotes the animals to whoever is seeing the picture, and that's a good thing. But in the end, it's like the Mili Vanilli scandal. Who's really singing?

Quote:
scribe some of how they handled each animal as I post new series. For the Arctic Wolf we went to a near by "unenclosed" gravel pit that had recently had over two feet of fresh snow dumped on it. They brought along another Wolf (timber) and had to keep it on a chain as it deters the other "free" wolf from running away...

three "handlers" that basically circled the area as best they could and kept venison handy for snacks to keep him interested in moving around.

That soundslike wild animal behaviour to me.....

Quote:
We were not allowed to attempt to touch the animals and none of the four species we photographed were in "enclosed" or "fenced" in quarters.

No, they were just chained up in a gravel pit, and the animal that wasn't chained was being teased with food. They live in enclosures, therefore they are not wild animals, and therefore, you are not filming wildlife.

Quote:
So Mr. Gallatin, I hope this makes it easier for you to understand the unique situation... it's not always black and white... the Lynx we photographed was absolutely carrying an attitude... I would have liked to see you go up to it and try petting it... now that would have been an interesting photo opportunity! :evil:

Oh I believe that. They don't like people much. I think the shots are beautiful, no doubt. But I would hesitate to call them "wildlife shots".

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 1:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Oh I believe that. They don't like people much. I think the shots are beautiful, no doubt. But I would hesitate to call them "wildlife shots".

Should we call them Human shots? It's Wildlife!! Maybe their not free roaming per se', but anybody with a pea sized brain could have deciphered that in the opening paragraph! Whatever your issues are, take them up with your psychologist. We are all here to show each other our work and help with any questions we may have between each other and for you, a basic non ciontributor to this site to come in and start acting like some nut takes away from the positive experience m,ost people have here.

Sorry to the rest of you that had to get involved in reading the dirty laundry, I just felt compelled to straighten out Mr. Make something out of nothing Gallatin.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:20 PM   #17

Ah, point of view. The world would be a boring place indeed if we all held the same one. I can appreciate the point the Gallatine is making. I welcome the exchange and thank you for taking the time to address each comment point by point. If nothing else it helps my brain fight off the effects of old age and memory loss.:lol: I didn't mean to cause any dissension amoung the ranks. I just thought the initial comment was a little short. I now understand where Gallatine was coming from. I'm not sure I totally agree, but his point is taken.
Cheers all,
Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:41 PM   #18

nice shots, but it does seem a bit like cheating having them put the animal right in front of you

That doesnt really matter though, as long as you get great shots, especially shot 2 in my opinion, thats all that matters :|
xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:56 PM   #19

Easy there buzzsaw! I gave you the highest compliment one can give, in that I thought the photos were very nice. We just have a small disagreement over labelling/terminology. Not a big deal.
Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:40 PM   #20

Okay Gallatin, I appreciate you taking time to say that.. I was a bit insulted and felt the need to launch some of how I felt back at ya. Were good, lets get back to doing what we do best, taking pictures.:|