Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:14 AM   #11
VP

Getting better all the time, Donna. The Finches and Mockingbirds make nice subjects don't they?
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:40 AM   #12

Thanks everyone! dib: I used iso 400 and aperture at 8. I don't use noise reduction except for "despeckle". I have cropped these, could that contribure to noise? Can somebody give meadvice on noise and Iso... donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:46 AM   #13
djb

Donna, higher iso settings produce more noise especially in shaddow areas. It's analogous to film grain (sorta) . The grain increases as the iso increases. Noise reduction software like Neat Image and Noise Ninja and others can really help in reducing noise. I use Neat Image as a plugin to Photoshop CS2. I always create a duplicate layer and then reduce noise and continue editing. I edit using adjustment layers and duplicates as you can always go back and change things as adjustment layers are nondestructive.In these cases since there seems to have been a good amount of light, I would have used iso200 and f/5.6 or f/4 for faster shutter speeds, less noise, and a less distracting background. as for the shot I mentioned that I would have the bird to the right instead of left, it is more "aesthetically correct" as it gives the appearance that there is something over there in the the direction it is looking.instead of the edge of the frame. But, that is all a matter of opinion and the artistic view of the photographer. As someone mentioned, your pictures are getting better and better!!! hope this helped.

dennis

edit: by faster shutter speeds I mean with wide apertures not lower iso. say you used iso 400 and f/8 and a shutter speed of 1/1000. if you used iso 200 f/5.6 and 1/1000 they would expose the same. and if you used iso 200 f/4 and 1/2000 that would also be the same. All will give basically the same exposer but with different depth of field. And, with birds, most (I am assuming) will use a wider aperture for higher speeds and less depth to make the bird stand out. But, with everything else, there are always exceptions.

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:19 PM   #14

Thanks Dennis! That explains a lot... I will give it a try. Looks like I 'd better learn adjustment layers in adobe. donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:55 PM   #15
djb

Donna, glad I was a help. I never used adjustment layers before I was taught and now I use them all the time. You can't do everything you want in adjustment layers but, most stuff we do in editing can be done. The great thing I was taught about them is that they are nondestructive and they use up much less memory and they neatest thing is you can go back to them and readjust them. I end up with a .psd file with all the layers and then create a printable file and a file for the web. I'm still learning and practicing and will continue to learn more aand more as I get older and older:GBut, as I said there are exceptions to everything. Have fun!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:20 PM   #16
KEM

Great shots Donna.
-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:52 AM   #17

Very nice Donna. Amazing how good light helps out with the shooting process and results....cheers....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote