Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:08 AM   #1

Default Mother Dove protecting her nest

My dad was trimming the vine around his house and was very surprised to come upon a nest of baby doves. The mother created quite a commotion and my mom managed to get this shot of her sitting on her nest protecting her babies. the shot was taken with a Sony DCR-PC101 combination video/still camera. The camera is only 1 MP so I don't think this is too bad considering. I guess I'll have to get some tips from her since I'm still trying to get some good shots of my own. :lol:
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:49 AM   #2

I used a 1MP Sony for several years (my first digicam) and found that the prevailing lighting conditions made all the difference to the quality of my pics. Too low a light, forget it. Also too bright was also problem. Early morning and late afternoon, when the sun was lower, created better pictures.

Just keep practicing. Thank goodness we can shoot to our heart's content without incurring costs.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 2:38 PM   #3

I agree Janet. I really like the fact that I'll never waste film again.

My mom is planning to get a separate digital camera but the thing that I think she will miss the most is the 10X zoom that she has now. I have a Canon G3 with 4x zoom and it is really limiting when trying to get some close shots of wildlife without actually scaring away what you're trying to shoot!
I'm going out to my mom's today and hope to get a couple of shots of the dove's nest myself.
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 5:51 PM   #4

Jaz, a decent zoom is something I really miss too. I used a Sony Mavica FD91 before the Canon G2, and although the resolution was pathetic (800,000 - under 1MP) it had a terrific zoom.

Like you, I shot film for years but my Canon AE never sees daylight anymore.

I'm holding out for a Canon EOS 1Ds digital SLR. Just need to rob a bank first.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote