Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 22, 2007, 3:12 PM   #1

Found this little guy in my tree by my driveway, not spooked at all. He just watched us through his squinted eyes. Pretty sure it's a screech, but go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong. If you can tell by these crappy pics, only posting to try to get an id. These are just about 75% crops and know they aren't going to win any awards. Unless the award is worst pics posted in March.:G Times like these I wish I had a better camera... really the wrong cam for birds.
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2007, 3:13 PM   #2

Not only bad pics, but bad spelling too. Title should read screech.:roll:
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:03 AM   #3
djb

Looks like a western screech to me due to the prominent streaking and also the dark bill.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:00 PM   #4

That's what I originally thought too, but looking in the bird book, it shows the westerns territory only in the extreme west US. This one was in Iowa so I figured it was an eastern.:-? I am far from any kind of id expert myself. Thanks for the reply, I think I need that 500mm of yours!
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:14 PM   #5
djb

If I can recall correctly, I think in Sibley's or Petersen's books one or both mentioned the two ranges can overlap. Heck, here in Massachusetts there's a Townsend's Warbler. It supposedly never crosses the Rocky Mountains. Go figure1

dennis
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:05 PM   #6
djb

Ya know, after looking on the internet at different pictures, I'm quite sure you are correct that it is an easterm screech. I compared beak colors and feather markings and the western has finer (and seems like more) streaking. Also, easterns have dark beaks too. Another thing about their ranges is that they just barely overlap in southwestern Texas. Iowa is well away from the western's eastern range. So, I change my mind. It's an eastern.

dennis
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:05 PM   #7

djb wrote:
Quote:
Ya know, after looking on the internet at different pictures, I'm quite sure you are correct that it is an easterm screech. I compared beak colors and feather markings and the western has finer (and seems like more) streaking. Also, easterns have dark beaks too. Another thing about their ranges is that they just barely overlap in southwestern Texas. Iowa is well away from the western's eastern range. So, I change my mind. It's an eastern.

dennis
OK, so eastern it is. Thanks Dennis, although I'm amazed you can tell anything from those pics!