Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:07 PM   #1
VP

On the photo below that I posted....can some of you tell me how it appears on your monitor. No offense will be taken. I havesome photos that I have agreed to donate to a state agency for display. I have done little printing due to quality issues.

I believe most of that stems from using my laptop ( mydesktop died ) I got out my 17" CRT monitor and hooked it up to my laptopand did a black point and gamma test and itdid much, much,better than this. I processed this photo according to what I saw on my CRT and it came out beautiful. It looked crappy and washed out on my laptop monitor. No surprise I suppose, most say not to use a laptop for processing photos forvarious reasons. I know Art Morris says he uses one, but I doubt for final output.

Anway, I printed this and it came out looking like the image on the laptop, not the crisp image with nice colors displayed on the CRT. Just wanting a little confirmation. Thanks.

Dumb question probably, since I would imagine the image on laptop screen will be priority. Time for me to make some changes.:-)
Attached Images

VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:25 PM   #2
KEM

VP,

The picture looks good on my monitor. The whites are a bit blown but other than that It's sharp and has good contrast. When you printed, did you use this 125k jpg file? Might want to tryit again usingthe original without the JPEG compression.

-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:34 PM   #3

I have a 20 Dell Alta Sharp Monitor that have been color calibrated.

Looks spot on to me.:-)

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:45 PM   #4

WOW! Thats how it looks!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:45 PM   #5
VP

Thanks for the help, guys.

The first print was a 1.23meg file and also the original at full resolution, 5.26 meg

I know I could have a much better printer but thought I would rather have a service to do the few I might want printed. I uploaded somelarger filesa while back that lookedpretty good. When Ireceived them in the mail, they went in the trash. I'm not getting what I am seeing on the monitor....my printer or theirs.

I suspected the calibration issue with the laptop, but you guys say pretty decent, so I don't know:?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:28 PM   #6

It looks great to me on both my Mac laptop and my Apple Cinema Display so I would think it would print perfectly since my prints come out right on they way they look on both of them.

I find the printing at 300dpi+ works best for me with my Epson 2300 even though Epson claims you don't need to print at that high a resolution, I can see a difference.

Great shot!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:03 PM   #7
VP

Thanks for the reply, Tom. My printer is not the quality of that Epson for sure and thought instead of buying one, I could have a lot of prints made for the cost. An old friend of mine hasmade 8x10prints from cropped photos I have emailed to him and said they turned out sharp with good colors.

I have printed some "fairly" decent photos with mine (with some work) but for some I wanted better ink and paper. I have some on disc that I am going to have printed local and see what the outcome is.

Do you print/shoot in RGB?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:31 PM   #8

I checked it on two desktop computers. Then I also printed it (I threw the printed copy away) I printed in the best mode possible mode on glossy photo paper.

The results: Anybody would be proud to have taken this photo - No question IMHO they will be thrilled.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:55 PM   #9
VP

Roger.....thanks for going to the trouble, I really appreciate it.Gives me a better idea on this end.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:55 PM   #10

Looks good on my monitor which is calibrated. Only thing I noticed were what looked like some sharpening halos. Could be just resizing artifacts though....cheers........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote