Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:31 AM   #1

These shots were taken a few days ago at Stiglmeier Park in Cheektowaga NY. If any of you are local to the region I suggest you check this place out. It's packed full of the wildlife of this region and they tend to get quite close to visitors. The trails that wind throughout the park can take hours to fully explore, and they are nicely tended with gravel and boardwalks.

Except where noted, all of these photos were shot with a Pentax K100D, and the lens was a Sears 80-200mm f/4 manual focus lens stacked on a Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter. I don't know why I kept that lens combo on the whole time, it's really not an easy one to work with, but I guess I just really liked the range.

Some people call Stiglmeier "Deer Park", which is quite appropriate. I don't think I've ever gone there without encountering several. There were actually half a dozen deer in view when I was shooting these, but I'm just posting a few of the better shots.

I don't know what kind of bird this is, but right now they are everywhere and have a tendency to land on branches very near the paths.

The leaves have not yet begun to sprout but there are a few small flowers already around. This is a close-up of one of the most common ones. The Sears 80-200 is also a macro lens (it has a section you turn to focus much closer), so paired with the macro TC it isn't bad at all.

Chipmunks are also quite common in the park, though they require a bit of patience to get good shots of. They move very quickly and can sometimes be a bit shy. Other times, they seem to want to pose for photos.

In this shot it might appear the chipmunk is in midstride, but in actuality it held this pose for a few shots.

There are plenty of geese and ducks to be found. This one was in the river that runs alongside the edge of the park.

There are of course tons of squirrels about, and they'll get quite close. I think they're used to being fed by the visitors.

This is the closest shot of a squirrel I've taken yet.

That wasn't a crop. Here's a closer crop of it.

I've taken a few decent shots of woodpeckers before, but this lucky snapshot is easily sharper than any of them.

On the way out of the park I had filled up my memory cards and had packed the camera up to go. My friend was still shooting with the Panasonic FZ30 I lent her when I heard the sound of turkeys coming through the trees ahead. She let me take back the camera for a bit and I managed to get a few decent turkey shots.

That's all for now. I hope you enjoyed them, and if you're anywhere near Cheektowaga I suggest you check this place out (or tip me on any other parks around I might not know about!).
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:35 PM   #2

Well done

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 6:15 PM   #3
VP

Certaintly a variety in that park and looks like a good spotto fill up those memory cards. I like your turkey and deer shots, they always make good subjects.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:39 PM   #4

Quote:
I don't know what kind of bird this is, but right now they are everywhere and have a tendency to land on branches very near the paths.

It is a Black-capped Chickadee. Tame lttle bugger.

Love that squirrel portrait!

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:57 AM   #5

Nice series. Looks like a good place to catch a variety of critters. Seems similar to the place I frequent......cheers..........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:00 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments!

VP wrote:
Quote:
Certaintly a variety in that park and looks like a good spotto fill up those memory cards. I like your turkey and deer shots, they always make good subjects.
Before that day, I'd only ever seen turkeys from a distance or just as they were disappearing into some bushes so I was pretty excited when we spotted these. When we got to the turkeys, the memory cards were almost completely filled, and in between turkey shots I was frantically deleting shots I was pretty sure I wouldn't keep. Turned out my friend didn't realize burst mode was on and took a lot of duplicates. I bought a 2GB card soon after.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:05 PM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

It is a Black-capped Chickadee. Tame lttle bugger.

Love that squirrel portrait!
Thanks! I don't expect to learn the names of all the birds around here, but when there are swarms of them about it's usually nice to know what to call them.

I'm pretty happy with how that squirrel photo turned out, but pretty much every animal photo in this series except for the deer photos are the best I've ever gotten of that particular animal. The turkeys especially as the best I had before these was probably from 3x farther away.

Thanks!