Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 9, 2007, 2:20 PM   #1

Pelicans at 8,000 feet

Last year when I found them I was very surprised and a couple of old timers told me they show up every few years. They are back again this year. They hang out in a cove by what I call El Vado Mesa at the North end of El Vado Lake.. Every morning they fly off some where and then return later in the day. I am going to try and figure out where they are going so I can get some more photos.

The elevation here in our valley is around 8,000 feet.

Here they are at El Vado Mesa Cove.

Off to some where for the day

A closer look at one of them

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2007, 2:31 PM   #2

Nice capture. The second ones my fav though

And the problem with shooting pelican is they sense movement so easilly and they fly. I even tried walking at 1 m/ 5 seconds..still they flew before i could takea shot.

Need atleast 1000mm(meaning 1.6x crop, 120-300 on a 2X for my setup...at this moment cant afford the 500m f4 )

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 3:11 PM   #3

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Nice capture. The second ones my fav though

And the problem with shooting pelican is they sense movement so easilly and they fly. I even tried walking at 1 m/ 5 seconds..still they flew before i could takea shot.

Need atleast 1000mm(meaning 1.6x crop, 120-300 on a 2X for my setup...at this moment cant afford the 500m f4 )

What I did is watch them for a couple of mornings since it would be very diffulcut to stalk in close to the cove they stay at. Around 8:30 two mornings in a row they took off so I found me a tree so I could catch them when they were flying and waited for them. I probably was only there 1/2 hour and here they came. Thanks for looking and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 9, 2007, 3:26 PM   #4

Roger some great shots, you really make me envious of the time you can put into hunting for great shots. - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 6:49 PM   #5
DSG

The close up is great Roger!
DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 6:59 PM   #6

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Roger some great shots, you really make me envious of the time you can put into hunting for great shots. - Ronny
Hi to YA!!! Ronny, I am pretty lucky cuz I don't have a problem with long days. Lots of days I leave before daylight and come back to get my other work done around 10 or 11am. Most nights I leave my office around 8 or 9pm. Pretty lucky that schedule works for my body. Thanks for the fine comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 9, 2007, 7:10 PM   #7
VP

Good job, Roger! I guess that is a bunch that decided to do high altitude for a while. Those breeding adultshave a unique look with that plate on the upper, don't they?

Beautiful country! Ya going to have to quit showing that....my feet are getting restless:-)
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 8:14 PM   #8

VP wrote:
Quote:
Good job, Roger! I guess that is a bunch that decided to do high altitude for a while. Those breeding adultshave a unique look with that plate on the upper, don't they?

Beautiful country! Ya going to have to quit showing that....my feet are getting restless:-)
Thanks VP for the nice comment and for looking. I got a couple of E-mails asking about that thing on his beak. I didn't know so I looked it up.

"Pelicans have a vertebra in their neck, which prohibits them from ever raising their face. The white pelican is 60 in. in length and 107 in. in width, one of the largest of the 8 true species of pelicans. They have a yellowish pouch connected to the lower mandible of the beak that stretches up to six inches. Their bodies are mostly white, with black primaries and outer secondaries, which are hidden until the bird outstretches it's enormous wings. During mating season the male develops a fibrous plate on the upper part of the beak, this is a unique characteristic of the white pelican. Also the bill is bright orange during the mating season. Their feet are orange, and are webbed not only between the four front toes but also between the second toe and the inwardly directed back toe. They have an enormous wingspan of 8 - 9.5 feet. Their legs are orange, and are extremely short.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 11, 2007, 11:57 PM   #9

I like #3.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 9:57 AM   #10

matthew2000tx wrote:
Quote:
I like #3.
Matthew thanks for the comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger