Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 23, 2007, 10:30 AM   #1

Wildlife-Digiscoping information

Cool Breeze posted a photo yesterday using a digiscope and that gave me the idea of posting some information about digiscope wildlife hunting.

Cool Breezes Post.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11

What we do is a little different as far as I can tell. We supply everything all the customer does is show up.

A full guided hunt is 2 on 1 guide to client ratio. A complete camera & scope kit is supplied for the hunt. A photographer will accompany you on your hunt to photograph you hunting and shooting. Full guided hunts include Lodging, Food & Transportation to and from your daily hunts. Transportation is from Chama, New Mexico. You also receive a 10 page photo album, a CD of all photos taken and a framed & matted photo for your trophy room.

A couple and one of their friends. We were going to the lake to try and get some Osprey shots and I spotted some elk by the river so its time to stop and get a few photos for their collection. The big advantage is once you have everything set up your customer really does not have to know anything about cameras just press the remote shutter which I have set on burst mode.

Setting up and pre focusing at the lake. We only have to go about 50 yards to the location I had picked out. We want to focus in advance so as soon as we get to where we want we are taking pictures.

A different couple on a week end get-a-way. They wanted to walk in and were up to the task. 200yards later we got to this ridge and she is shooting some deer while he watches the deer with glasses. Another advantage of using a digiscope is folks don't have to know how to stalk or how the right way to move in the woods.

This was a fun 3 days for me. A outfitter who wanted to learn about "This Camera Crap" No problem spotting animals and no problem getting to where we wanted to be for the photo. He is writing a story about hunting with a camera for one of the outdoor magazines. This is the last day #3 of his hunt and he is doing everything himself including spotting the elk and picking the location to shoot from. He was very interested in the idea of hunting wildlife 12 months a year not just during hunting season.

Here is the set up. I also supply a set of binoculars for my clients to use. My idea was and is: We supply everything so folks that are brand new can find out if they like hunting wildlife with a camera with out having to buy any equipment. I use the digiscope set up cuz you can take advantage of its reach and you don't have to try and train your clients on how to move around the right way in the woods.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2007, 11:05 AM   #2

very interesting equipment. how does the image quality of the digiscope compare to your k10d/bigma set up. also what is the focal length of the digiscope and does it zoom? what is the cost of that particular digiscope? i've seen a few other people with a similar set up when i am out at bolsa chica.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
very interesting equipment. how does the image quality of the digiscope compare to your k10d/bigma set up. also what is the focal length of the digiscope and does it zoom? what is the cost of that particular digiscope? i've seen a few other people with a similar set up when i am out at bolsa chica.

- hung
Image quality is going to be decided by what camera you are using. I am using a Sony W7 and the quality is Ok for 10x7 prints which is what I give my clients. The real secret is to focus with the scope first then fine tune with the camera and use burst mode. One of the middle photos out of 5 or 6 will be the best.

Zeiss 85mm Diascope, with a 20-60x Vario Zoom Eyepiece

Here is a link to additional information about the set up I use.

http://www.digiscopehunting.com/turnkeykit.html

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old May 23, 2007, 12:24 PM   #4

royce10 wrote:
Quote:

- hung
Royce here are a couple of sample photos I gave my clients.

They were on the right side of the far ridge just below the letter A in Sample.

I hope this helps answer you question about quality.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old May 23, 2007, 1:42 PM   #5

My goodness Roger, that is over $5,000 worth of equipment.

I could have quite a nice DSLR setup for that kind of money and even though Zeiss makes a great scope, the image quality isn't up to what a high end DSLR produces. I see the interest in getting close ups without being close up, especially for clients, but I prefer to stalk my game with a camera.

Nice set up though!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 1:50 PM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
My goodness Roger, that is over $5,000 worth of equipment.

I could have quite a nice DSLR setup for that kind of money and even though Zeiss makes a great scope, the image quality isn't up to what a high end DSLR produces. I see the interest in getting close ups without being close up, especially for clients, but I prefer to stalk my game with a camera.

Nice set up though!

Tom
Tom I agree with you that is why for my personal use I have the set up that I have. This is a different business that caters to folks that don't know anything about wildlife and nothing about cameras. In one year it has more than paid for all the equipment and that is a fast turn around for business equipment. When I started the company I was thinking it would be around 3 years for the equpment pay back. At a little less than 1 year makes me think it was a good idea for a new business.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old May 23, 2007, 2:14 PM   #7

woah. that's quite a pricey set up. the pics are impressive though. you must do well with your camera hunts operation to recoup your start up costs only after 1 year. nice!
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 2:16 PM   #8

Roger, I never said it wasn't a good business move and for your clients that I expect don't want to crawl through a swamp to get a photo it makes perfect sense. I was really just replying to Hung's inquiry about image quality compared to a DSLR like both you and I use.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 2:30 PM   #9

Roger,

that'ssome great info. Your detail is amazing. I think those sample shots are great too. Your example shows thepower of that scope, coupled with a good camera. I hope you have a display showing "possible" customers this same info at your hotel.

Pictures of the actual folks who have done this, along with some of their trophy pics should be enough to win over most people that already have an interest.

I have seen other photos done by "Digiscope" that showed incredible detail, and clarity.Like your right there in the nest with the subject. I'm sure it all depends on what your looking for, and what set up you have. Thanks for sharing the info!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 2:32 PM   #10

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Roger, I never said it wasn't a good business move and for your clients that I expect don't want to crawl through a swamp to get a photo it makes perfect sense. I was really just replying to Hung's inquiry about image quality compared to a DSLR like both you and I use.

Tom
No problem Tom I understood and my answer just was not worded correct. For the reason its a good business move but for me NO WAY I like the set up I am using. You are so right about clients having no idea of what to do and not to do out in the woods. There idea is walk along at a fast pace and taliking all the time to each other about what we are going to see at the top of a little ridge. An example " Hey Sue look at that little bird on the tree in a loud voice" Once we get to the top of the ridge there is no longer any animals probably with in a mile or more. But we did have a nice brisk hike in the woods with lots of stimulating conversation. "Good for the heart I guess"

Sorry I didn't word my answer right Tom. I just am not real good at words.

TOTALLY WACKY roger