Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 23, 2007, 9:18 PM   #1

I can just imagine Daffy Duck sneaking up behind these guys, and giving them a NY raspberry. I don't know if they caught the bird, but I can imagine any rational thinking warbler would go the other way seeing all those cannons pointed at it......cheers...Don
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2007, 10:13 PM   #2

If I saw that I would run the other way real fast. Great photo.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 10:35 PM   #3

lens envy comes to mind:?

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 10:42 PM   #4

Put that on your Brushhawk Roger! I guess they can only sneak up on birds that are close to the blacktop.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 11:23 PM   #5

While I was out shooting a couple of weeks ago, I caught that Osprey feasting on it's fish, I was the only one there shooting handheld at 300mm with a 1.4 tc on it. The other fellows that showed up were lugging around tripods and lenses that looked like these. One guy was using a 1000mm lens he said and stuck on an extension tube- for what reason I don't know. Must have wanted to see it's eye, and nothing else. Another had a huge Nikon - a 500 f/4 I think, and a 1.4 tc on it. He was sweating bullets as he arrived carrying this mass of glass. I didn't envy any of them at all. I was happy to be wielding my so called lightweight equipment around freely, changing postions and generally having a good time. Seems like a whole lot of trouble to haul that large stuff around. I don't want it, not at this point and time. I like to hike around when out shooting, and that sure wouldn't be happening lugging around 20lbs plus of glass and tripods. Lens envy - no way! In fact, I just went shorter. Bought a sweet FA*200mm f/2.8 and am loving it. Bright viewfinder, and with a 1.4tc attached, still less than f/4 and nice and light to carry. Image quality is top notch. Sure, don't have all that length, but my back ain't sore either....cheers......Don
Old May 23, 2007, 11:53 PM   #6

what on earth were all those guys aiming at??
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 12:30 AM   #7

Ya. I run into these types of shooters too. They usually camp on this bridge near the entrance of of bolsa chica ecological reserve. I swear, when a duck flies by, I feel like I'm standing next to a machine gun turrent with all the high speed shutters going off all around me. They are nice guys though, but not my style of photography. I'm with ya Don. I like to hike and handhold my shots. Keep it light and keep it simple is my moto. Congrats on getting your 200mm f2.8 lens. I know you have been searching for that baby for awhile now. Can't wait to see some shots!

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 7:49 AM   #8

Thanks Hung. Ya, I'm with you. Light and simple. I hate hauling anymore than I need around. Don't even like monopods. I only usually carry my tc in my pocket, and an extra memory card..cheers...Don
Old May 24, 2007, 8:16 AM   #9

Post some photo with the FA*200 so we can see them. I have the A*200 2.8 and it is a great lens, but the FA* should be even better.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 8:25 AM   #10

ya gotta wonder, with literally thousands of dollars worth of gear - most of those big lenses are upwards of $4-5000 all by themselves, and the bodies hangin' off 'em usually run at least a couple of grand more), what are these guys DOING with those photos once they get 'em???

i can't see shelling out 10 grand for lenses and bodies unless they're makin' me money... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote