Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 25, 2007, 3:09 AM   #1

(This is a re-post of a thread I posted in the Pentax forum)

When I got home tonight, I noticed a lot of spiders crawling around on the garage and the siding of my house. I had the K100D handy, so decided to try getting some macros.

I took these all with the kit lens and the on-board flash. These spiders were all around 1 1/2" long, and the kit lens isn't macro enough to get really close, but the images were detailed enough that closeup crops seem to turn out rather well.

This fat, crunchy fellow was just hanging there calmly, not seeming to mind the flash, so a good starter spider.

This creepy abomination came crawling up. I don't know what it is, but I hate it.

Look at that face. If I plucked out it's front legs, it'd probably crawl with it's eye stalks.

Normally I would destroy something like this, but have you ever stomped on one of these and then lifted your shoe and there wasn't a trace of it? After having some good, closeup images of what might be crawling up my pant leg, I decided to leave it be.

Don't look at me...

Here's one spinning it's web.

It's putting it's web on the garage door. I tried to kill it twice, but I'm sure it's still out there.

Summer may be just around the corner, but I think this is a good time to start weather sealing my home. How big are the spiders in Alaska?
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 6:37 AM   #2

I particularly like #5, the face on shot. Good job.
Joe B.
joenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 11:39 PM   #3

Ugh, Corpsy, you have so creeped me out with that series of terrifyingly good captures :shock: I've never seen a photo of a spider spinning it's web, so your capture of that is very

BTW, I've found the "brother" to your 1st...
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 12:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. Flippedgazelle, I've posted another batch of spider macros, this time using actual macro lenses and an external flash. They get much closer so you might dig these;

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote