Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 28, 2007, 9:39 PM   #1

Just a bird taking a stroll and looking for some food.
Attached Images

Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 9:42 PM   #2

Cooool capture what kind of bird is it????

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 2:43 PM   #3

Hi Roger,

that's a crackle, and their very common around here. I took this picture because the color seemed perfect on this guy.
Old May 29, 2007, 6:58 PM   #4

Pardon the contradiction, butit is a Brown-headed Cowbird. I'd rather it were a grackle. Cowbirds are brood parasites that lay their eggs in other birds nests. They used to be confined to the Great Plains with the bison, but have spread all over, followingour cattle, and have seriously impacted populations of other native songbirds that have no defense against them.There is a Cowbirderadication program in parts of California to protect the Least Bell's Vireo, which it has driven nearly to extinction. It is one of those birds you love to hate. You have my permission to kill it. I guarantee you won't be prosecuted. :ak47:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 7:36 PM   #5

I do stand corrected. That's no problem, it was an assumption on my part as I see them and the crackles here all the time. Sorry but the termination has not been officially authorized!
Old May 29, 2007, 8:05 PM   #6
VP

As with most birds theyhave a certain beauty. You can bet though, it wasn't looking for food to feed it's young. They let other birds raise them.

To add to what penolta said....

That bird (one just like it), just recently caused the starvation of four Carolina Wren babies that hatched on my back porch. I knew there was one in the nest but did not realize there were two eggs laid by the cowbird and the otherhatchling was hidden in back of the nest. One day I finally had an afternoon free to check things out and saw what was going on...too late. The cowbird young grow so much faster and are always in front and standing on the other young when food is brought.

Out of 14 trips that I observedby the adults, the cowbird young were fed 11 of those.The next morning when I checked the nest, all of the Wren chicks were dead. I just wish I had known sooner. I think the cat got the cowbirds.

Just a little added info for those not familiar with the habits of the Brown-headed Cowbird.

VP is offline   Reply With Quote