Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 30, 2007, 1:50 AM   #1

How do you get all these great bird shots, when ever i go to my local woods all i see is the back end of birds as they take flight, except for ducks!!
Attached Images

bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2007, 2:13 AM   #2

most of the time i hike around a wildlife sanctuary and actively look for the birds. if there is no action in a particular area, i will keep going. i'm always looking around. i make sure to frequently look behind me when i'm hiking because you can never hear a bird coming at you from behind and once it flies past you, the best photo opportunity is gone.

however if i come across a nice vantage spot that overlooks a pond, i will settle down and see what flies by. often times, i will catch a duck, egret, or heron flying in for a landing. those always make for nice shots.

sometimes if i find a nice shorebird wading in the shallows, i will settle down and prefocus on it and wait and watch. you just never know when will do something spectacular or interesting. if i see a duck preening it's feathers i will focus my lens and watch it through the viewfinder. sometimes the duck will raise up and flaps it's wings (to flick off water drops i guess). if i am prefocussed and ready to shoot, i will let off a burst of shots and if i'm lucky i can catch a nice pose.

if your particular water hole has alot of ducks, try shooting them when they are coming in for a landing. often they will have their wings spread out. if you can keep your shutter speed up it should make for a nice bif shot.

hope this helps.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:55 AM   #3

Very well Hung, I will try what you suggest, and see what i get, we do have a local conservation point with hides, as soon as the weather improves i give it a try, including a pre-focus spot. Thanks
Old May 30, 2007, 1:21 PM   #4

Bill, bird shooting takes patience. Sometimes you have look around to see where birds seem to hang out, then return early the next dayand stay put the whole morning just to be able to get a couple of good shots. I you don't move much, most birds won't even notice you.

Also, spread bird food around a certain area, with low trees, and that will get you alot of subjects to shoot at, unless the doves find out.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 1:33 PM   #5

Birds out in the open are one thing, but it is the little ones in the bushes and trees that are tough. Patience, patience, patience - and of course, Luck.

My jungle-like backyard was full of migrating warblers and other small ones this spring, but they were so busily gleaning back in the dense foliage that not one ever sat still long enough in the open to pose for a portrait. Very frustrating.

Learning the habits of birds is esential. One of the best ways is to go where they are nesting during the spring breeding season and look for singing males. They have favorite singing perches they frequent to advertise theri territories -- just watch long enough to figure out their routes from perch to perch , then prefocus and wait in telephoto range of the most photogenic oneuntil the bird appears and shoot away. Don't get close enouigh to scare it away, and remain both quiet and as still as possible.

It is also possible to make"squeaking" or "pishing" sounds to attractbirds out of the foliage, too (this is a favorite techniqueamong birders). Sometines they come quite close, but quick movements of the hands can scare them off, so keep the camera at or near eyelevel.

Another technique is to bait them with food, or to wait near running, dripping or splashingwater, which will also attract them to drink and bathe.

But above all, patience, patience, patience.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 5:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the replys, i feel much encouraged to learn some tips from you all. And i will try to be more patient,quite and still. I think a chair might be good by the sound of it, the joints squeek a bit at the knees :lol:. I will try to see perches and use some food. Thanks again