Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:07 AM   #11

6 is awesome. I envy Canon guys for having the EF f5.6 400mm. There is no need to reiterate the wonderful performance the lens can offer. As a Nikon fan, I just wonder howNikon can affordskipping such a lens in their arsenal. Perhaps, making them may weakentheir big guns market. But as far as hand-held shots are concerned, how can we miss this little pistoldespite the fact that we may have a big gun as big as the 600mm.

Lately, I came across the following website that introduces the 400mm telephoto lenses made by Nikon many many years ago.Would be wonderful if any one of them could be converted to become an AF 400.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...hoto/400mm.htm

Here is a shot I took with a Nikkor 400mm f5.6 today. I think the lens is over 15 years old, but from the shot, there are reaons to believe that it is still serving well.
Attached Images

wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:28 AM   #12

That is a beautiful shot of the pigeon. I think your 15 year old nikkor is still has some amazing optics. You need to take it out more often and post more pics from it!

I'm not sure why different lens manufacturers stopped producing the 400mm f5.6 prime. When I was searching for a longer telephoto lens I was particularly interesting in a 400mm prime. I originally was a Pentax shooter and they use to have a 400mm f5.6 autofocus prime but they discontinued it. Tokina and Sigma also use to have a 400mm f5.6 but they too discontinued it. I think that the market for 400mm primes is small compared to zoom telephotos. Such is the pitty since it is a gem of a lens for birding.

- Hung

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
6 is awesome. I envy Canon guys for having the EF f5.6 400mm. There is no need to reiterate the wonderful performance the lens can offer. As a Nikon fan, I just wonder howNikon can affordskipping such a lens in their arsenal. Perhaps, making them may weakentheir big guns market. But as far as hand-held shots are concerned, how can we miss this little pistoldespite the fact that we may have a big gun as big as the 600mm.

Lately, I came across the following website that introduces the 400mm telephoto lenses made by Nikon many many years ago.Would be wonderful if any one of them could be converted to become an AF 400.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...hoto/400mm.htm

Here is a shot I took with a Nikkor 400mm f5.6 today. I think the lens is over 15 years old, but from the shot, there are reaons to believe that it is still serving well.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:28 PM   #13

'Such is the pitty since it is a gem of a lens for birding.'

Can't agree more with the above.

I moved from OM to Nikon about 10 years ago to manage the gears my wife passed on to me because of her shift in interest. I sold all the OM gears; at that time, I hadOM's 1n, 2n, 2sp, 3, 4 to 4Ti. The feeling was mixed having to sell out the system to ease gears management, and one thing that always come to mind about OM is aboutthe multiple spot metering system that it pioneered inOM3 and 4.It is just an exciting system for both the amateur and the professional. Exposure is all underyour control just by selecting a spot in the scene and pressing the spot-metering buttonof the camera for precise light measurement. You can measure up to 8 spots and the camera will average out the metering for you. Have to say: pinpoint accuracy and as easy as ABC for light metering.

Unfortunately, not any cameras so far I know are equipped with such a function.

We have a lot of conveniences opened up to us in the DSLR era, but at the same time, we have lost someexciting provisions that were in place in the traditional SLR age. Would be great if they are revitalized some day in the future.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote