Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 8, 2007, 3:40 PM   #1

This little guy was just taking off from the ground when he sighted me and had to make a less-than-graceful turn.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:57 PM   #2

Neat bird in flight capture. Those sissor tails are quite long. I'm curious as to your camera setting for this shot. I'm at work right now and don't have access to my usual exif reader. If my memory is correct I think you shoot with a Pentax K10D and a Tamron 70-300 right? Try stopping down to f8 and that should increaes the sharpness. Also sometimes if you crop too aggressively it will diminish the resolution of the pic. Also for birds in flight I try to keep my shutter speed at or above 1/1000. Sometimes if the light isn't strong this necessitates upping your ISO. Although this increases the noise, that can be minimize with post processing techniques. Give it a try and I hope to see more of your work.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:30 PM   #3

Royce, your EXIF reader wouldn't have helped. My PSP XI stripped off the EXIF even though I had the "Save EXIF data" option checked on save options. You are right about the K10D and Tamron 70-300. On this shot, I was at the full 300mm at f5.6. ISO was 800 (early morning shot), shutter speed at 1/2000.

I appreciate your suggestions and will try them. I'm still very new to DSLR and nature photography and have a lot to learn, but I fugre the only way to get better is to keep shooting and trying new things.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 2:43 PM   #4

Glad you posted that and captured the dynamics of that bird anyway you could.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote