Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:52 PM   #11

Hung, where was the Skimmer photographed? I can't tell for certain what color the band in shadow on the right leg is, but if it is black,I am told by a friend and colleague that black bands were placed on Skimmers at the Salton Sea last summer, and thata fewfrom that cohort have moved to the coast and have been seen already both at Bolsa and Newport this year. If that is so, then this bird is only one year old, as bands are only put on these birds as nestlings.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:38 PM   #12

Hung, the first one would make a great company logo!

Nice shots as usual.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:40 PM   #13

This skimmer was photographed at Upper Newport Backbay. There are quite a few of them there at the moment. It's cool to see that they are spreading out amongsts the wetlands of southern california.

- Hung

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Hung, where was the Skimmer photographed? I can't tell for certain what color the band in shadow on the right leg is, but if it is black,I am told by a friend and colleague that black bands were placed on Skimmers at the Salton Sea last summer, and thata fewfrom that cohort have moved to the coast and have been seen already both at Bolsa and Newport this year. If that is so, then this bird is only one year old, as bands are only put on these birds as nestlings.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:43 PM   #14

Great shots Hung! That first one should be on your wall.....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 9:34 PM   #15

Quote:
This skimmer was photographed at Upper Newport Backbay. There are quite a few of them there at the moment. It's cool to see that they are spreading out amongsts the wetlands of southern california.

The skimmers were not always in California. They first arrived as breeders at the Salton Sea not too many years ago. They soon spread to San Diego, and then up the coast. They were followed soon after by the Elegant Terns up from Mexico. As I thought at the time. thesemay have beenamong the first obvious local biological indicators among the birds of the now more widely appreciatedclimatic warmingtrend.

As for photo No 1,your treatmenthas beenvery effective withthe backlit white egret. I have found that desaturation and fiddling around with contrast can be beneficial with monochromaticreflectivemetals like silver, as well. Good job - you are now taking things to the next level. Artsy, yes - but I don't know that I agree with the other part!

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote